Any bites for a Bullet??

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Michael Brigg

Any bites for a Bullet??

Post by Michael Brigg »

As usual, mention a class and they start popping up...

Bullets were mentioned not long ago on one of the mystery boat theads.

So here is one, in good condition it would seem.

Nice little junior starter Classic.

http://www.wightbay.com/boats-waterspor ... hy/4356831
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Any bites for a Bullet??

Post by Ed »

Well, not in the slightest bit interested myself....

but what a quite wonderful little boat for anybody with a teenager looking for a bit of fun.

Guess I could buy it and store it for Isabelle??...but no, that would be silly.

But someone really must buy this boat, just so that I can see it for real some time.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Demon

Post by Demon »

If my lad was a little (much) older i think i would take a chance on that! But he's only 2 and was bored on the 420 yesterday with no wind :roll:

Nice looking dinghy though!!
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

I think I might be interested in a bullet if there was one a bit closer to where I live, as I am a teenager, and my dad (who has never sailed in his life) is very interested in learning, so he could learn about spinnakers and trapezes in a boat like this as it might be more forgiving then a fireball to learn on (at least for my dad).
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Having seen photos of you in your Skol - I would think you and a typical dad would be too big for a bullet. With reasonably modern rig controls the fireball ended up being sailed by very light crews (as well as heavier folk) and you both would find the larger(ish) cockpit more comfortable. And they are in plentiful supply and easier to sell (I would guess). The fireball is also quite forgiving being totally vice free in its handling.

There are of course plenty of cvrda boats including some early fireballs with trapeze and spins to learn on.

In my experience with teaching teenagers, very little beats the 420 as a forgiving yet exciting platform to develop trapexe and spin skills.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Well for me it is sort of the other way around, I am teaching my dad!
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

What you will need to learn effectively and fast is a good weight carrier. A bullet with you + Dad is likely to be overloaded and will wallow. An overloaded boat cannot respond to the wind, and has too much water resistance to respond to the rudder. Ultimatly this spoils the experience, makes the sailing too difficult for a beginner and the boat less stable. The Bullet is an interesting bit od Fireball history, but not good to teach a bigger learner. You will really, in this situation do better with a full size fireball.

If yo want a historically interesting, effective learner boat, you should look at the VERY early Mirror (double figures only) that was on here a week or two ago.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3816

It's looking for a genuine buyer. They may be a childrens boat, but they are surprisingly lively, will not go out of fashion, have fleets in almost any sailing club, and a strong pedigree, with all types of sailor. They even have a Spinaker that is small enough to learn with.
Michael Brigg