Uffa Ace

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
solentgal

Uffa Ace

Post by solentgal »

Sami.
jonathan

Re: Uffa Ace

Post by jonathan »

"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones". Looks as though she's been all of these.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The Uffa Ace info on the National 18 website makes reference to just one Carvel built 18, (252, "Sabon") but this one is said to be a triple laminate ply construction. Are there ribs? Is this really an Uffa boat, or something else.

A very interesting prospect for someone...

If the price remains at this level it is a must have bargain for someone.

I have always thought the 18ft'ers looked like chariots of gods. Perfect for the Grandpa and dog outings to the beach. They become family heirlooms and rarely come on the market.

This is forbidden treasure to me.
Michael Brigg
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Yes - I'm forbidden too. That's almost a pun but the Skua would have to go first, and I like that too much.

Were Uffas early 14's laid up with veneer stripped with oilcloth between the layers? if this is the same construction then I'd have though the separation of the layers the ad (now) refers to would be kind of serious and hard to fix - would you have to remove the outer skin, and make anew??

Such a lovely looking boat I hope she does end up restored. Current images would be good to see!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Judging by a quick glance at the fairly poor photo, she doesn't look like an 18 at all, but that may be because of the construction. Lots of detail in the wording, but some of it reads wrong, so I'm not sure the owner actually knows what he is talking about?

Edit: Had another look - the bow looks very wrong. All the Uffa Ace 18's had a very sharp forefoot, didn't they, rather than a curve from bow to keel? And a higher stem?
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

yes, your right Rupert - a quick uffa ace search shows that.

I have seen a pair of very similar boats in Emsworth, Chichester Harbour 18 class? Its not impossible Uffa designed and built something like that.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Seem to remember the CH18 is clinker, but there are certainly many local classes looking a bit like this. How many are triple diagonal, though?
Rupert