Tideway 12 For Sale

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
nprice

Post by nprice »

Ranelagh is selling a very nice Tideway 12 to pay berth & membership dues. Not sure what it's worth but pictures can be seen at http://www.nickprice.org.uk/katyrose.htm
Nick
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Just what I have been looking for. How much is it going for?
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
nprice

Post by nprice »

Trevor,
I'm not sure as we have a duty to get the best price for the owner and refund him the balance. I heard one went on ebay for £700 and it didn't seem to be nearly as nice as this one.
Make us an offer!
Nick
Nick
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Tideway do go for a premium. The newsletter has them going between £1800 - £3000. It depends on condition (though even ones that require work go for real money) and model. It also has to be a genuine Tideway as there a boats that are called Tideways that are not the genuine article. Is there a Walker plate on the transom and is there a sail number?

This one looks like a Popular with a foredeck added later and the rubbing strake is not an original feature. She does look very tidy, and looks like a newish boat.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
nprice

Post by nprice »

Thanks Neil,
I'll have a look for a plate later today and let folks know. There didn't seem to be any sail number carved into the boat as you'd expect on a Solo or Merlin. Boat also has a good cover.
Nick
Nick
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmmmm......

are you quite sure this is a Tideway?

If so, it is a very new one......

as it is subtley but deffinitely different to the Tideways that I know!

Could be a Twinkle 12....

could be one of a number of other copies....

but my gut reaction is that it does not look like a Walker Tideway to me...

Might be worth contacting Danny at Tideway Assoc.

Of course just because it is not a 'real' Tideway would not make it that much less valuable....it still looks georgeous.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
nprice

Post by nprice »

Well, there are no plates anywhere or sail numbers. The number on the side appears to be a registration number for the Environmental Agency in 2000/2001. Sails are made by Jeckels and there are a couple of numbers on them which might be traceable but no dates. Looking carefully at the construction, the rubbing strake and foredeck don't look like add ons as the deck is run under the Stem of the boat and looks like it was done when built.

What is a Twinkle? We were told it was a Tideway by the chap who left it at the club. Any other ideas? The workmanship is excellent with laminated bracing knees at the transom and thwart and many other nice touches.
Nick
Nick
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

http://www.tradboat2.co.uk/editorial/di ... e%20Twelve

There is a pic and some info here on Charles smith's site.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

If its got nice touches then it's probably not a Tideway as they are, quoting Ed here, "<i>rather agricultural in construction</i>"
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
mikehanson

Post by mikehanson »

As the owner of a Twinkle Twelve I can confirm that this is not one.

Twinks have more graceful lines and a beautifully curved foredeck - not that I'm biased mind you!

Best wishes

Mike
Twinkle 12 (66) - afloat
Albacore (1188) - awaiting restoration & tlc
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I think that it most probably is either......a new Tideway....by which I mean a tideway built since the demise of Lew Walker....

or one of the copies that are pretty much exact replicas.....but built without any permissions from Tideway association.

The person who could tell us is Danny....and he does sometimes drop into this list. If the topic is still current when I get back from Bristol, I will drop him a line.

I am sure he would like to know about it anyway.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
nprice

Post by nprice »

Thanks for all your replies, I have sent Danny an email as well the Environmental Agency.
Nick
Nick
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Well, I am still interested.

Trevor
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
nprice

Post by nprice »

Well Danny confirms it's not a Tideway but is asking others who might know, Mike says it's not a Twinkle so what is it and what is it worth?

All the fittings seem to be bronze, nice pair of oars, good cover, trailer looks sound, airbags are good, there is an anchor but no warp, spare rudder and tiller, boat hook and whisker pole. Those fenders have to be worth a bit!

We may have to put it on ebay if we can't establish a value. Trevor, if you want to make an offer or have a look at the boat, let me know.
Nick
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Urrr......just to make myself clearer....

when I said the 'demise of Lew Walker' I meant when the company stopped making Tideways....rather than his actual demise...

He is still happily with us!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull