Tideway 12 For Sale

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
nprice

Post by nprice »

Well, the good people at Jeckells Sails suggest it is a "Dragonfly" made around 1966. Anyone have any experience with these?
Nick
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

The Dragonfly is a classic clinker-built River Deden sailing dinghy, dating back more than 50 years.

That was all I could find!
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Never heard of it....although will have a look around for info...

bottom line is that it looks like a beauty of a boat....whatever it is.

I think Tideways are fine boats....but I do think they are certainly overpriced for what they are. You pay a lot for the 'name' and for that matter the 'association', because it is that I suspect more than anything which gives the Tideways their inflated price.

If you don't mind not being part of the TOA....then I think one of the other 'copies' would still provide fine sailing and might be cheaper too.

As for what it is worth....I really wouldn't like to say. It is true that Tideways in similar condition are advertised for 1500 - 2000. imho only an auction would really show the price and as we know that can really vary...time of year...time of place...who knows about it etc.

For what it is worth the last 2-3 tideways on ebay have all gone for under £1000.00 and fine boats they looked like too. I suspect that ebay users don't care so much about the 'name' or the 'association' and that this dragonfly could easily reach the same kind of price.

It is just a fact that small wood (as apposed to ply) boats do just go for a little more money than you would imagine. On the other hand the boat market on ebay seems really flat at the moment. I have seen a gentlemans skiff from the 1850s and that carvel gaff rigged day boat both go for next to nothing recently.

So....I am still not sure I would like to offer a valuation.....it all just depends.

if someone said they bought it for £400 I would be very impressed...and think I might of done so too...if offered..
at £500 to £600 I would figure damn good price for a smart clinker wood boat...but don't think I would be tempted
£600 to £800 I would reckon that was about what I would expect to pay - no great deal...but I don't need another 12ft boat
£800 to £1000 I would think was Ok as long as the boat didn't need to much work...came with trailer cover etc
£1000 to £1200 - amazed someone would pay that much for a 12ft boat....but realise that they do...just I wouldn't
£1200 to £1500 - did you get carried away on ebay?

Boats just go for what they can be sold for.

Down here on the Cornish South Coast, there are still far many more people who want to buy....than there are boats and they go for way more money that I think they are worth. Someone here in the village recently bought a 10ft clinker pram dinghy....broken ribs bent planks....hand built...no sailing kit....just cheap paddles. Owner looked at me and said...."Spent all summer looking....found this for £850...only needs a little work....I think it is a steal!"
What do you say?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
nprice

Post by nprice »

I've emailed Waldringfield to see if they can shed some light because I can only see a reference to 14ft Dragonflys (ies)
Thanks,
Nick
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Sorry, It can't be a Waldringfield Dragonfly. They are 14ft with a foredeck and side decks, and bermudian rig. The were designed by O'Brian Kennedy and built by Nunn Bros near Felixstowe. They should show a dragonfly emblem above the sail number.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

nprice

Post by nprice »

Happily this member has now paid his dues and the boat will not have to be sold! Still don't know what it is though............
Nick