OK for Duncan?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

An OK has just been posted on the boats for sale page http://www.okdinghy.co.uk.
It has been recently re decked but has suffered some transom damage on it's last outing. No. 1644, an O'donnell all wood from about 1973 I'd guess.With 2 metal masts,2 sails and trolly. All for £50
I'd have liked to have let you know about this one direct Duncan, but I've no email address for you.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

THANKS ALAN, PHONED UP AND BOUGHT IT OVER THE PHONE . GUESS I WILL BE LOOKING AT YOUR TRANSOM FOR A WHILE YET THOUGH !!!!! THAT BOOM LOOKS AWFULLY LOW , MAY HAVE SOME HEADACHES COMING !!!
DJSpencer-Smith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is plenty of room to cower in the bottom of the boat - trouble is you have to peer out to see what you are going to crash into!
Rupert
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Once again the hoary old myth of the low boom gets raised. The OK, and the Finn, both have springy masts, you sail upwind with no kicker, or virtually no kicker, and when you let a little mainsheet out to tack the mast springs forward and raises the boom. Combined with the depth of hull in the OK, there is more room than a Solo, Streaker, or similar single handers. Go for it, Duncan, you'll have a lot of fun. More pertinent would be to get/make a vertical rudder, and cut down on weather helm.

Regards

Nick
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Excellent news Duncan and welcome to the club.
Nick is absolutely right about that boom height. I know from experience that there is far more room under an OK boom than a Solo or Contender.
As for weather helm, if this is a bit heavy this can usually be overcome by moving the mast forward in the hull and/or raking the mast back.A 30' rudder blade angle was the norm but a 15' has been an option for many years now, which I'm told helps too.But jump this one if and when it ever arises.
I have a membership list from 1983(sad, is'nt it?) and the advertiser was listed as the owner then so he must have had the boat for many years.Guess he liked it!
Email/ring me and let me know all about 1644.Also if I can be of assistance in anyway or at least put in you contact with folk who can. And do keep me posted with progress.
Remember, OKs do'nt get bruised, complain or eat all the Ginger Nut biscuits but you must ease the mainsheet just before a tack on the beat.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks for the advice Alan and Nick , Shame i have to give up the ginger nuts tho !!!!. Alan the guy i am getting the ok off has owned it for 26 years , but not sailed it since 2003 and then only once where he ran aground with a fixed rudder ( not recommended ) . He used to sail it competatively about 9 years ago,. Thats all i really know , will give you an update when i get it home
DJSpencer-Smith