Int Moth on Apollo Duck

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
GaryT

Int Moth on Apollo Duck

Post by GaryT »

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk ... ?id=255663

The seller thinks it is a Magnum 6? Can anyone confirm?

I have been looking for a late lowrider for a while (this is too old for me) and have missed a couple lately. :roll: So if anyone knows of any lying at their club then please let me know.
PaulM

Re: Int Moth on Apollo Duck

Post by PaulM »

That's a Magnum 8 - the giveaway is the mast stub/boom attached at deck level, which it was the first Magnum to have, also no visible chines at the transom.

Paul M
GaryT

Post by GaryT »

PaulM wrote:That's a Magnum 8 - the giveaway is the mast stub/boom attached at deck level, which it was the first Magnum to have, also no visible chines at the transom.

Paul M

Thanks Paul

I didn't think it was a 6 but I was just looking at archive photo's to work it out and couldn't find a picture at the same angle to be sure.

If it was a bit closer to me I might have considered this..........
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It would be really cool to get lined up pics of all the magnum versions. Then you could see the changes from one to the next. I can offer the 6.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

well in on the 9.9...
It must be 20 years now since the last one was made, I reckon a magnum meet could be order.., Would be great to get as many as poss together before they rot away.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I expect JC has pictures of them all when they were being built - interesting now would be to get a line up of them in one place?
Rupert
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Funnily enough, I was thinking of doing a guide to Magnums only today - between my photos and the ones on the old archive I can put up info on most of them. I'll probably resurrect the thread on the ID section to post them.

Paul
GaryT

Post by GaryT »

PaulM wrote:Funnily enough, I was thinking of doing a guide to Magnums only today - between my photos and the ones on the old archive I can put up info on most of them. I'll probably resurrect the thread on the ID section to post them.

Paul

Paul,

I think this would be of great interest to help corrrectly identify any Magnum's that appear.

Thanks

Gary
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Gary,
Have a look at the rather nice collage of Magnum photos that Paul M has posted on the Boat ID section. Although not all the photos were taken from the same relative angle they do help to show some of the differences between the designs. e.g. transom widths getting narrower, rudder gantries appearing and wings getting squarer at the rear. The chine overlap also disappears in the Magnum 7 and 8 and the 7 had noticably more rocker which made it faster in light airs and a better weight carrier. It proved to be a bit of a dead end so the 8 went narrower throughout and had virtually no rocker as well as making the foredeck higher towards the mast pivot allowing the boom to be attached to the fwd bulkhead just under the mast. The sails had to be cut differently as the mast bend characteristics changed as a result of taking the kicker induced compression loads off the lower mast. I also have some old photos that may help so I will try to scan them when I get a chance.
Hope this helps.
Ian M
GaryT

Post by GaryT »

Spiderman wrote:Gary,
Have a look at the rather nice collage of Magnum photos that Paul M has posted on the Boat ID section. Although not all the photos were taken from the same relative angle they do help to show some of the differences between the designs. e.g. transom widths getting narrower, rudder gantries appearing and wings getting squarer at the rear. The chine overlap also disappears in the Magnum 7 and 8 and the 7 had noticably more rocker which made it faster in light airs and a better weight carrier. It proved to be a bit of a dead end so the 8 went narrower throughout and had virtually no rocker as well as making the foredeck higher towards the mast pivot allowing the boom to be attached to the fwd bulkhead just under the mast. The sails had to be cut differently as the mast bend characteristics changed as a result of taking the kicker induced compression loads off the lower mast. I also have some old photos that may help so I will try to scan them when I get a chance.
Hope this helps.
Ian M

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. I noticed Paul had posted in the boat ID section after writing my previous post!

Thanks for the information and I think your photo's will be of interest not only to me but others on the forum. I am keen to get a moth but I would prefer to have a late one from the early 90's onwards eg Skippy 1,2,3, Axeman, Magnum 9 onwards etc. However I do enjoy learning about all the designs and how the evolved over the years.

Thanks

Gary