"Ladies" Finn rig for sale

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
neil
Site Admin

"Ladies" Finn rig for sale

Post by neil »

Having a huge clear out as I'm demolishing my boat shed to make way for a bigger and more waterproof one (i.e. one with a solid roof).

I'll be offering various bits on here to see if there's any interest as I have a collection of booms, centreboards, rudders, spinnaker poles and sails (including some from boats I've never owned).

I've just smacked my head on a lovely wooden Finn mast that has a matching sail and boom. This is the 'Ladies' Finn rig from the early 1960s when there was an attempt to make the class more popular with women.

I've never seen one before, only in an old Light Craft advert.

I believe it to be 3/4 the size of a normal Finn rig.

If anyone is interested let me know - looking for around £100 for it. I'll try and get some pics if it ever stops raining.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Re: "Ladies" Finn rig for sale

Post by Michael Brigg »

neil wrote:I believe it to be 3/4 the size of a normal Finn rig.

If anyone is interested let me know - looking for around £100 for it. I'll try and get some pics if it ever stops raining.
Why not give it to Dougal...

It might persuade him into a Finn!! :lol: :lol:
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Michael Brigg wrote:
neil wrote:I believe it to be 3/4 the size of a normal Finn rig.

Why not give it to Dougal...

It might persuade him into a Finn!! :lol: :lol:
:D :lol:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Poor David :roll:

I would be interested if I had a finn to go with it, but I can't see me buying one - my spine is too fragile to lug one around onshore.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

No excuse for Rupert now!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
imptoo

Post by imptoo »

I wonder if it would suit a Moth designed to take a free standing rig, such as a Europa or low aspect rigged Duflos? The mast would need to be roughly 18 feet long and the boom 9' 6".
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Neil,
I may well be interested if you still have it. Is it possible to provide some dimensions (Luff and Foot) and pictures to help me decide if it might suit one of my project boats. Thanks.
Ian M
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

OK, as part of my mass clearout it was pointed out by Big Al that I still have this lovely wooden Finn mast, boom and matching sail.

This is not a full sized rig, as it was marketed in the 1960s as a 'Ladies' rig for a Finn. The mast is about 19' long as it just fits in a 20' shed.

I'm happy to sell this complete rig if there's any interest and it can be viewed at Roadford.

davidh

Post by davidh »

Oh very funny you lot.... I was laughing so much I had to go for a blast in the 505 to restore me to sanity!

Before the Ladies Rig gets chopped around/changed to make it fit a minisail or a n other single hander, can I 'BEG' that someone steps it in a Finn and takes a load of pictures. This is far more than just a mast and sail.... it takes us back to a time when single handers were evolving - as was sailing for 'ladies'. Whatever else happens to it, it needs documenting and if possible, saving within the classic finn series.

I regret to say that you'll not be seeing me in one of these boats anytime soon - I'm having far too much fun sailing the 'classic' 505. A afternoon sailing that, in breeze, leaves the grin on the face for days after!

Nessa...thank you for standing up for me
Roger...your card is MARKED...be in no doubt
Michael B....I think 505 sailing should be available on the NHS - as a cure for everything!
D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

davidh wrote: Michael B....I think 505 sailing should be available on the NHS - as a cure for everything!
D
Everything apart from poverty?

I'm afraid in these times of cutbacks, someone in accounts would decide that Laser Vagos would do just as well, at a fraction of the cost. they would then do a study on it, which would cost more than the boats in the first place, which would conclude that the Vagos weren't up to the job after all, and they would all be scrapped, and a new set of 505's bought, the old ones having been "lost" somewhere in the system...
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I think the ladies' rig answers the last of objection Rupert has of why he can't sail a Finn.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I still couldn't pull it up the slipway!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Rupert wrote:I still couldn't pull it up the slipway!
You need a marinised version of one of these

http://www.ego-mover.co.uk/

neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Nice to announce that the Ladies Rig has been reunited with K129.