Something a little different

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nigel

Something a little different

Post by Nigel »

clibb

Re: Something a little different

Post by clibb »

It's not by Jeckells, it's a Prout folding dinghy, though the sail may have been by Jeckells. We had one back in the 50's. Actually it was remarkably quick, and my dad changed the rig to include a jib, which I seem to remember was not part of the original package. Weighing very little, but a very good design, made possible by the natural shape taken up when the frame was pushed out to fill the canvas, we could erect it in a couple of minutes from taking it off the roof. I loved it.

Nick

Int 14 - 839
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
clibb

Post by clibb »

Yep. Similar but not quite the same. The boat in the U-tube section is a tender, whereas the ebay one is about two feet longer and was a proper sailing dinghy.

Nick
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Does it have a PY rating, I think it could be a good laugh and worth the start price just for the wood.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
clibb

Post by clibb »

I don't remember it having a PY, but it must have been given one, because we used to sail it in impromptu races at the sailing club in North Wales that we belonged to. I do recall that it easily beat Herons, Graduates and similar boat for boat, and was competitive against GP's and Ents. Only problem was that it had no form of decking, so easily shipped water, and was very uncomfortable to sit out. The sail sleeved over the mast a la Laser/Topper, so when we came to fit a jib it took a bit of thinking about. Eventually a small block on a wire strop, off a Heron I think, was fixed to the mast in a window in the front of the luff sleeve. Oddly enough, this is exactly what Fevas use now. This worked, but wasn't ideal.

Nick
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

From the transient disappearing nature, I thought it was a "Cheshire Cat!"
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Michael Brigg wrote:From the transient disappearing nature, I thought it was a "Cheshire Cat!"
Always the way with old boats and old sailors. Eventually only the smile remains :)
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Michael Brigg