Cougar Cat

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

The Cougar Cat has been saved by lastman. Hurrah, now lets hope he sails at a CVRDA event such as Roadford or Brightlingsea.
Cheers Al
last man

Post by last man »

If I dont get to events she will be sailed in my home water the solent Stephen
Getting as bad as the rest. Two boats and two tenders
last man

Post by last man »

Just got an e mail from John and pic of cat really nice and all John promised that she would be. She looks so suited to my type of sailing and not being a trapize is brill as most of you know I have naff knees. Well I have paid for the insurance and the mooring fees and now I have my maps and charts out planning my first few trips as soon as its warmer. All ready spoken to people about sailing round isle of white and camping at the same time ... Will let you know how things go if there are any pics I will post them as well .
I am thinking about going to that event in the summer may see you there Thanks Stephen
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Oh yes.Sounds like you're going to have a great summer, Stephen.
If you happen to be in the entrance of Langstone Harbour in your Couger travels, pop in on us at Hayling Ferry S.C.I'm sure everyone would be very interested in her.It is almost totally a multi hull club but nobody has one of those. If you see a yellow VW Camper parked up, I'm in residence(Dart/Sprint 15 1442).
All the best,
Alan
OK 1211
last man

Post by last man »

Alan can you send me details of your club as most people I speak to hold up the cross and drive me away no cats here.. I am looking for a new club for cat sailing and some one to show me how e mail is stephen.upfield@ntlworld.com thanks Stephen
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Take a look at http://www.hfsc.org.uk.
Unfortunately there is quite a waiting list for boat spaces at the moment.
Eastney Cruising Assoc. on the Portsmouth side of the entrance is home to a few Cats as is Stokes Bay S.C. further up the coast.
Alan
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Not exactly cvrda stuff but here are some pictures of gently rolling your catamaran off its trolley into the flat calm waters prior to a gentle sail round the bay. I particularly liked the middle picture of the vertical attitude cat.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=20139
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

And there is someone hanging on for dear life!.Well,all the best books say never leave your boat.
One event when not having centreboard(s) was a big plus, I think.
Shame my old mate could only get a third.He's been up there for so many years now but never quite pulled it off.
Thanks for the link Garry.
last man

Post by last man »

Everyone I have spoken to at my sailing club has said that if you fall out of a cat you hold on to the main sheet as the cats have a bad habet of sailing off and leaving you. how true is this. Ta Stephen
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Stephen
Do n't believe a word of it. In all the years I've sailed cats I've never fallen off one even when helming and double traping. Capsized them yes several times but have never had them blow away from me either. With a cat travelling at speed I would very much dought that you could hang on anyway. If you could hold on to the mainsheet the chances are that the main would be pulled in and the boat capsize. Then it can't sail off, but you have to right it. How ever keep your feet under the toestraps and always remember to have one hand for the boat, in an emergency let go of everything the boat will stop quickly. Once again do n't listern to monohull sailors they do n't know about cat sailing but if you are really worried about this wear a yacht safety harness. Make sure that you have some means of climbing back on board after a capsize or even if using it to swim from, as unlike monohulls a cats decks are high out of the water. On my NACRA I have two righting lines which have loops all the way up them so that Firstly I have something to pull the boat up with and secondly I can put my foot into them to use as a rope ladder to get back on board. If you are intending to cruise off shore. Please learn to sail a cat first as they handle in a totally different way to monohulls and you can get into trouble very easily if you do not know what to do. You may also wish to purchase a device from Northampton Sail Boats which prevents a Cat from turtleing or use a large masthead float. Of course sailing off shore also means that you will also need to take sensible safety equipment with you, for advice contact RYA or RNLI and also inform the Coast Guard of your passage get a local weather forecast. Try and get some crewing with an experienced cat sailor before you set out on your own you will be able to pick up tips on boat handling (CATS) and pick their brains for advice. Finally don't sail in conditions that you cannot handle build experience up in sheltered waters under the watchful eye of a rescue boat crew and always sail with a crew as your boat is a two man vessel and a big heavy cat which will be difficult to right and impossible singlehanded!!! Also do not overload it as this will have drastic effects on its speed, handling and sea worthiness.
Sail fast and often
Regards Alan Williams CVRDA Cat Rep Shark 41, Nacra 1786, Finn 340 , Dolphin 30. N.American One Design 674
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Blimey.....are you up to 5 boats now! Where are you going to keep them all?

Could get expensive if you keep them all up at Roadford

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
last man

Post by last man »

Alan thanks for the advice I am planning to start to sail her when my sailing club is out and about and use the safety cover. I have never sailed cats before I know what you mean about tertling as I have a air bag at the top of the mast for my ent to stop her going all the way over. I will have to put some lines on the edge so that I can get back in had not thought of that. I was planning to sail her single handed like I do the ent but now will re think that have to yell down the club and see who I can borrow, there are so few cat sailors at my club Ref long trips I hold Day skipper and have done a small number of trips along the coast I plan to reg on A GC66 and I leave passage plans with my family every time I go out thanks for the reminder though never can be to safe Can any one give my an Idea what size out board to get to drive the cat I have a 2hp for my ent would that be big enought Many thanks Stephen
roger

Post by roger »

When I was a boy back in the dark ages before punk rock I sailed out of Fishbourne on the Isle of Wight. A cat capsized at an open and when it righted the helm didnt hold on and that one sailed off on its own towards Ryde pier. The rescue boat was on old launch and there was no way they were going to catch it.
I think it capsized again before it hit the pier.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
last man

Post by last man »

I am getting the pic here that I dont sail that cat on my own but have a crew. I plan on sailing along the coast and camping hope there is room on cat for basics
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Stephen

Re. Outboards for Cougar. I would have thought that a 4-6 hp would be more suitable or even 10 if bashing against strong tides. However around Plymouth a friend of mine used to push his Strider around the marina with a 2hp it was only used to go in and out of its berth. Rest of time sailing or drifting as the marina rules are such that you are not allowed to sail within it,s boundaries. You may also find that you will require a long shaft model. Use the cats rudders to steer with. However try your 2hp first.
Have Fun.
Sail fast and often

Alan Williams