passing on Unit 2/7

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Obscured by clouds

Re: passing on Unit 2/7

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
roger

Post by roger »

Is it me or does she have the look of an FD about her.

She is stunning after all the work you have put into her.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

If I did not have a Finn ...

Anyone want a Finn?

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

jpa_wfsc wrote:If I did not have a Finn ...

Anyone want a Finn?

j./
might consider a swop?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Is this still available? I've dreamed of finding a Unit since seeing David Thomas sailing Unitone (which to a 12/13 year old Hamble River SC Mirror helm was a very clever name) - he had made an ingenious sit-inside sliding seat frame from a couple of old Proctor booms and I'd even consider having a go at replicating it!

If it is still available I'd be happy to donate to whichever charity suits...whilst I'm miles away it's a pleasant drive and I could visit some old Menai Straits sailing territory - let me know? It would be to a good home I can guarantee. :D

Thank you

Andrew
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

dronskiuk wrote:Is this still available? I've dreamed of finding a Unit since seeing David Thomas sailing Unitone (which to a 12/13 year old Hamble River SC Mirror helm was a very clever name) - he had made an ingenious sit-inside sliding seat frame from a couple of old Proctor booms and I'd even consider having a go at replicating it!

If it is still available I'd be happy to donate to whichever charity suits...whilst I'm miles away it's a pleasant drive and I could visit some old Menai Straits sailing territory - let me know? It would be to a good home I can guarantee. :D

Thank you

Andrew
Just as a postscript - should anyone know of another one anywhere/condition I'd be grateful for a heads-up? I've been looking for a long time so if anyone knows please can you contact me?

Many thanks

Andrew
roger

Post by roger »

David Henshall has put a lot of research into these and owned 2/7 for a time. he may be the man to ask. goes under the name of DavidH on this site. He can be quite elusive though.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

roger wrote:David Henshall has put a lot of research into these and owned 2/7 for a time. he may be the man to ask. goes under the name of DavidH on this site. He can be quite elusive though.
Thank you, I'll try :)
davidh

Post by davidh »

No...I'm here - at least in spirit!

Okay - firstly, a bit of background for them wot don't know the whole story!

The reason for the 'confusion' about the boat - is it Unit 2 or 7, goes right back to the beginning. Richard Creagh-Osborne wanted a Unit but always had boats with a number 7, so David T and Jack Chippendale obliged. It was the 2nd boat built by Jack, beautifully cold moulded and then sailed by R C-O. Now Richard thought that the sliding seat was 'wrong', nor did he (then) like the trapeze. His idea was to rig up a system of swivelling booms, with a tractor seat on the end. (this is probably what was seen sailing on the Hamble) - I have pictures of the boat sailing set up in this way. Although cumbersome, this was a HUGE improvement on the original plan, which was to have a curved pole, like an outrigger, that one hung under - a bit like trapezing from the underside of a sliding seat!!

As it was, Unit 2/7 went to the second set of IYRU Trials at La Baule along with David Thomas in his own boat.

But there is a bigger question to answer now: If dronskiuk saw the Unit sailing in the Hamble and he was sailing a mirror, to get any more answers will require a bit of 'quid pro quo'. Where were you sailing from (Hamble River or Warsash), which year was this and what else did you sail there...oh... and did you go to Hamble School?

D
David H
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

davidh wrote:No...I'm here - at least in spirit!

Okay - firstly, a bit of background for them wot don't know the whole story!

The reason for the 'confusion' about the boat - is it Unit 2 or 7, goes right back to the beginning. Richard Creagh-Osborne wanted a Unit but always had boats with a number 7, so David T and Jack Chippendale obliged. It was the 2nd boat built by Jack, beautifully cold moulded and then sailed by R C-O. Now Richard thought that the sliding seat was 'wrong', nor did he (then) like the trapeze. His idea was to rig up a system of swivelling booms, with a tractor seat on the end. (this is probably what was seen sailing on the Hamble) - I have pictures of the boat sailing set up in this way. Although cumbersome, this was a HUGE improvement on the original plan, which was to have a curved pole, like an outrigger, that one hung under - a bit like trapezing from the underside of a sliding seat!!

As it was, Unit 2/7 went to the second set of IYRU Trials at La Baule along with David Thomas in his own boat.

But there is a bigger question to answer now: If dronskiuk saw the Unit sailing in the Hamble and he was sailing a mirror, to get any more answers will require a bit of 'quid pro quo'. Where were you sailing from (Hamble River or Warsash), which year was this and what else did you sail there...oh... and did you go to Hamble School?

D
Hi David, thanks very much for the response...it's a class that captivated me then and has stayed in my (failing) memory ever since - it's also great to verify my recollection of the seat...although I'm sure that there was a version with the booms that had a 'bench' seat at either end. I'd love to see those pictures!

To answer your questions - Hamble River SC, I had the Mirror (1688) from 1967, yes I went to Hamble both primary and secondary modern (as the community college was then) but left in December 1968 to go to HMS Conway MN Cadet school...hence 'O' levels in Seamanship, Navigation etc instead of art and music etc :-). I'm intrigued now...did you do a boatbuilding course at Hamble School perchance!?

Thanks again

Andrew
davidh

Post by davidh »

Andrew.............

Okay...if you can't close the deal on U2/7 then it just might be possible (but sadly I emphasis the 'might') that there could just be one other boat around...but I stress that my info is some time out of date as I had a year or so 'away' from the history scene.

But in the meantime.... you sailed a Mirror at Hamble in '67, so you'd have known Rob Lovesey, Graham Boswell, Tom Roberts and Dougie James (the first three went on to OKs, Dougie was sailing a Lazy E the last time I saw him. Sadly, I did not have the woodworking skills to do the 'Omo' White early boatbuilding course..... with the three wheeled landyacht that they built, complete with a suit of cadet sails...though I was sailing it when we lost control and chewed up the cricket square!

Let's see....I had Miss Birkett for English and Ken makepeace for history....Mr Emmet for Geography...ring any bells with you.

Good luck with getting a Unit, they are a joy to sail upwind, have lots of detail and other bits of old 'factoids' on the boat as I'm still often in Hamble, indeed, I did an evening talk there recently!

D
David H
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

davidh wrote:Andrew.............

Okay...if you can't close the deal on U2/7 then it just might be possible (but sadly I emphasis the 'might') that there could just be one other boat around...but I stress that my info is some time out of date as I had a year or so 'away' from the history scene.

But in the meantime.... you sailed a Mirror at Hamble in '67, so you'd have known Rob Lovesey, Graham Boswell, Tom Roberts and Dougie James (the first three went on to OKs, Dougie was sailing a Lazy E the last time I saw him. Sadly, I did not have the woodworking skills to do the 'Omo' White early boatbuilding course..... with the three wheeled landyacht that they built, complete with a suit of cadet sails...though I was sailing it when we lost control and chewed up the cricket square!

Let's see....I had Miss Birkett for English and Ken makepeace for history....Mr Emmet for Geography...ring any bells with you.

Good luck with getting a Unit, they are a joy to sail upwind, have lots of detail and other bits of old 'factoids' on the boat as I'm still often in Hamble, indeed, I did an evening talk there recently!

D
David

Very much yes on all those, the land yacht nearly fractured my skull on a couple of occasions when the rear wheel lifted in a gust and it gybed on a sixpence....we learnt why land yachts invariably have the steering on a front wheel! I recall cotton sails?

The Lovesey brothers - Robert and Trevor, Big and little Boz (Mirror called Two Buoys), Alan Dewar, my good friend John 'Dick' Borrett and so many more young Mirror sailors, it was a great fleet in those days for a youngster! I crewed for Tom Roberts in the Enterprise that the school built ('Daddy' White?) using Dougie's Enterprise sails (4402?) at the Schools Regatta at Calshot - which he/we won.

Yes too to the teachers...Birdsh*t was my 2nd year form teacher after a year with 'Fifi'. Ken married the drama teacher Miss English? 'Shiner' was Emmett...think he was the punishment coordinator, who else...Fritz Kilford, Henry Legge, Chas Newbold..these are names I've not thought of for years! Granny someone...what was her name? Churchyard the RE teacher...real name! Mr Yobbs (whoever thought of Rural Science for a gardening lesson name!), Wally Organ...I built a kayak with the metalwork teacher..Thomas, Thompson perhaps?

But... to the subject...I've coveted the idea of finding a Unit but hadn't realised any still existed so any information would be much appreciated. Jack Chippendale (died not long ago) ended his working days near here (I'm based in North Suffolk now but also visit Hamble regularly, was there on Wednesday)and I spoke briefly with him about them when he did a repair on my Avacraft Enterprise back in the '80s but he didn't know the location of any. If you do have any information come your way I'd be eternally grateful, as I say it's been a decades-long hope and you're obviously well-connected. Do we know each other? My surname is pretty much the same as my user name but the only David I could recall (my apologies) was the guy I used to walk down Satchell Lane with sometimes...he was on the first (I think) Daddy White course and lodged near Nichol Robinson...someone else I crewed for on many occasions - I'd do anything to get on the water whilst I saved for the Mirror..I was 13 in '67 and lied about my age (still do!)to get a paper round at Beavis Newsagents.

Too much nostalgia...thank you for the memory jolt, what were you sailing back then? Were you a HRSC member?

Andrew
roger

Post by roger »

Jon at Whitefriars now has Unit 2/7
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353