Any ideas what this is?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Im not very expericenced with types of boats as am still only at the begining of my sailing life. but to me it looks like a chanlgeer to the later merlins maybe a just styled on a merlin or national 12
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Andy MacLennan

Post by Andy MacLennan »

Reckon she's a single hander - thought for a moment she was a Harrier but she's too small and they were only available in grp. Notice she has had lowers and must have had a raking rig judging by the size of the mast gate! I'm <i></i>very<i></i> tempted myself as she's a gorgeous shape.......!

Now what mast/sail combination should I use!!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

reckon she is an International Moth, could well be a Shelley
link to the "Classic Moths"
http://mothboat.tripod.com/CMBA/cmba.htm
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
davidh

Post by davidh »

One things for sure, this is definitely not a Harrier! The 'arse end' of it is very much along the lines of the Spencer/Gregory Cherubs and the tortured ply construction suggests it comes from that era.

Without exact dimensions it's hard to be 'definite', if it's 10' then it could be an early example of one of the Australian skiffs. The other possibility is that it's an early variant of an International Moth (which would tie in with it being a single hander).

Whatever it is, it would give an 'interesting' ride downwind in breeze, "I'm forever blowing bubbles" rather comes to mind!
D
David H
markj

Post by markj »

From my limited knowledge I agree with Mark, almost definatly a moth.

Regards
Mark
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Hmm, I kind of thought maybe a Moth, but the 10ft length put me off. My local tech college used to run boat building classes on a Saturday, and a guy from what was Blackburn aircraft built a series of Moths using 'tortured'plywood (and memorably a mast made from grp & drinking straws!), but none of them were as pointy as this.

John
Andy MacLennan

Post by Andy MacLennan »

Doh - course it's Moth - just didn't have my thinking cap on properly - used to have a Magnum 6 too!:oops: Got a spare rig so think this'll be my next project - hell of a long trip or me - but she's sooo pretty!
Mark

Post by Mark »

It is about time the "Classic Moths" organised themselves in the UK, why should the French and the Americans have all the fun... Must look out for a Skol this year....Sigh !
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Its because they don't have British Moths, like we do, poor things...actually, when I say like we do, I have almost half of one at the moment...having fun designing new deck and case layouts at the moment, each more daft than the last!
Rupert
Mark

Post by Mark »

At least with the Classic International you don't have to worry about ply thickness, my last Mistral had a 1mm foredeck
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
andrew

Post by andrew »

Who bought it ?
Andy MacLennan

Post by Andy MacLennan »

:D

Guilty party here - hehehe! Told you all I wanted to add her to my collection - long trip south for me though. Reckon I'll have to have a weekend away to pick her up. Never mind - it'll be worth it!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yup.

I think it looked like a whole bunch of fun.

just hope condition is better than the famous case of Neil's ebay merlin.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Andy MacLennan

Post by Andy MacLennan »

Hi Ed!

Yes - always a risk...lol, especially as I'll have a 1200 mile round trip to pick her up - I'm coming down from Aberdeen!!!!! (So if any cvdra - ers are in Kent and wouldn't mind towing her a wee bit north I'll happily reimburse!!!)

In all fairness, the only thing that is really concerning me at the moment is that bow section that's lost it's paint, The hole is just a case of scarphing a piece in so no biggy - if it is close to the mast step I'll just scarph in a bigger bit and extend the glued area for strength...with modern epoxies it'll probably end up stonger than the original ply.

Anyway - wish me luck guys - she looks like she could be a cracker! Also - I might be persuaded to part with my Solo...2392, deck off rebuild last winter - totally epoxied inside and out - redecked with Robbins Elite Tiger Stripped Decking Ply and sporting a virtually unused Purple Main! She's a VERY fast boat! Honestly - it will take some persuasion 'cos she's gorgeous - and was twice mistaken for a brand new Solo!!

Cheers

Andy