International Moth Sail Number K3222 – Renovation Project

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Oupadupa

International Moth Sail Number K3222 – Renovation Project

Post by Oupadupa »

Some restoration has already been completed. The hull is sound and complete and should just require finishing and adding rigging fittings etc to make it sailable. Optimistically 3-4 weekends to get it on the water. Longer for a detailed restoration. All components have been dry stored for 30 years.

I bought this boat needing repair, so I have never sailed it. It appears to have originally been a very nicely constructed plywood hull which – prior to my ownership - was subject to some unsympathetic development work – presumably in the interests of increasing performance. Rectification of these changes does seem fairly easy and relatively quick in the hands of a reasonably skilled DIYer who has had experience of wooden ply dinghy work.

The starboard lower hull panel has been replaced over two thirds of its length following the original construction method and the hull appears generally sound with no obvious problems around the centreboard casing but no tests have been carried out on water. A small area of filler has been applied where the new and old panels meet to feather in the join. Purists could easily replace this with feathered in ply. Two of the deck knees and a small part of the deck have been butchered – presumably to accommodate or modify the outriggers. The transom may have been modified to increase the size of the transom flaps. Apart from what is noted, there appears to be little or no structural change to the hull. The finish throughout is marine paint, or in some areas marine undercoat and looks generally sound. One or two small areas have flaked, but there appears to be no consequent damage to the hull, so these areas just need rubbing down and re-finishing. It is possible the deck and inside surfaces might strip down to allow a varnished finish.

The Alloy mast and boom appear to be serviceable, as is the well used fabric sail (numbered K3222)

Rudder, centreboard and fittings generally, probably need maintaining/replacing, but pretty well all of the components are present and could be used to try out the boat. There is an outrigger frame, but it is a very crude effort and certainly does not look original. Maybe this was a design which originally had stubby integral ‘wings’.

I have no idea of the history of the boat nor of its original design and specification. So this dinghy is offered very much as seen. The name on the transom – ‘Dollywaggon Pike SSC’ (St Sunday Crag?) suggests an earlier owner was possibly a Fell runner!

There is no road trailer, but a launching trolley is included.

If no boat trailer is available, the hull is probably light enough to transport on a strong car roof rack, but the mast is 6 metres or more long and would require additional support on a roof rack.

I have other photographs, but I have not yet worked out how to show more than 3 at once, if this is possible!

Inspection is welcome at Ely Cambs, but please come prepared to help in moving and replacing the boat if necessary.

I am looking for a reasonably sensible offer, bearing in mind the overall condition and comparative rarity of this boat.
Attachments
Hull1-3.jpg
Hull1-2.jpg
Hull1-1.jpg
Nessa

Re: International Moth Sail Number K3222 – Renovation Projec

Post by Nessa »

oh dear. Just up the road.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

According to my 1975 yearbook, its then owner was J.P.Bean in Gloucestershire and its name was 'Cultural Overlord'.

Reverting to useful information, it appears to be a Stockholm Sprite design by Chris Eyre.

Paul M
Oupadupa

Post by Oupadupa »

Thanks for the information, Paul. This probably correctly identifies the boat, as I was living in Gloucestershire when I bought it - although not from J.P.Bean.
Oupadupa

Post by Oupadupa »

Found this. Look for the picture.

http://www.okdinghy.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =367#p1912

The boat in happier days!
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Ah, knew I'd seen the number somewhere - that's Colin Brown winning the 1972 Nationals at Lymington.

Paul M
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

I wish I had seen this before coming down to Hunts for the weekend and back again, would like to have had a closer look. A Stockholm Sprite was one of the first moths I swam around as a teenager, so a good excuse for a more authentic CVRDA moth.
Oh what am I doing, this is the slippery slope, I was ok till I spent the weekend with all those boat addicts, now I've caught it too!!!

Oupadupa, could you send me some more photos, I'd like to see the deck layout and what could be done with the wings etc.

Lyndon
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Go on Lyndon you know it makes sense...then we could have a Stockholm Sprite match race if I ever get mine back in one piece. Colin Brown's championship winning boat too so it's got a bit of previous! I am sure that Nessa would be willing to go and have a look at it for you to give you a better idea what state it's in before you make another trip across country.
There's also a Magnum 6 that has appeared on Apollo duck although I don't know the boat, but that means two choices of boats that qualify under CVRDA and both with match race potential!

Regards

Ian M
Oupadupa

Post by Oupadupa »

Hi Lyndon

More information

The 1973 picture shows the boat with nice, thin aerodynamic wings which are set more or less horizontally. The modification added wings which were veed fore and aft to mount on top of the mid and aft buoyancy tanks and also veed upwards to allow the boat to heel at a greater angle. This meant the wing frame ran through the position of the rear storm deck mounts. As the photographs show these mounts were butchered, but I think with a bit of careful redesign, the hull woodwork could be restored and this type of outrigger frame could be accommodated. The outrigger frame is currently a crude concoction of 2 inch aluminium tubing, wooden plugs and aluminium straps. Most of the materials can probably be re-cycled and used to make a much more presentable frame. Attention needs to be given to the way the sections of tube are connected together and also to how and where the frame is mounted on the hull. The frame itself carries two canvas wings, which are secured to the gunwhales and lashed through eyelets to the frame.

The layout of the boat has a forward storm deck with coaming round the cockpit cut out and an inspection port in the bow buoyancy tank. In the working area of the boat the tops of the stern and mid buoyancy tanks make a level deck with the footwell cut between them. the space under the storm deck allows stowage and protection for some gear.

The hull was repaired following the original construction method - ply panels screwed and glued to stringers and formers, then taped over with fibreglass and sealed with epoxy. In the footwell, the butted panels are stitched together with copper wire. If wished, it would be neither too difficult nor time consuming to remove this panel and start again. Some of the original taping has lifted, so this needs to be carefully inspected.

As ever the amount of work involved depends on the standard of finish which is desired, but in my view, the boat is not too far off being returned to a tidy and sailable boat. The biggest problem is probably sorting out the outrigger. Getting a sensible working solution requires a little clear thinking more than anything else. On the other hand, I would not like to guess how long a restoration to 1973 spec concours might take.

By the way, its no problem to arrange viewing during the week, if this is more convenient.

Hope this helps

Roger
Attachments
Footwell and repair
Footwell and repair
View to the stern
View to the stern
Shows end of foredeck with knee cut away
Shows end of foredeck with knee cut away
Oupadupa

Post by Oupadupa »

Some more pictures
Attachments
Sail1-1.jpg
(12.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Rudder1-1.jpg
Part of the Outrigger can be seen here. Two pieces of tube are bolted on top of one another. Not a pretty sight.
Part of the Outrigger can be seen here. Two pieces of tube are bolted on top of one another. Not a pretty sight.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

happy to go and view if you need me to Lyndon!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Thanks Nessa, we knew you wouldn't resist!

I can see pretty much what there is from the photos,- a lot of work, but an interesting challenge.
I have emailed Roger to get an idea on price and we'll take it from there.