Solo No7

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Rupert

Solo No7

Post by Rupert »

Just had an email about a real classic:

To: General Enquiries

Nick Bell

I have Solo No.7 for disposal, it has been in a dry garage for years,
and needs total restoration. I need to get it out of the garage. Free
to anyone willing to take it on. No trailer. Boat is in Battersea,
spars, sails and foils in Essex. Can you help me find a new owner for
this boat?

PM me for contact details.
Rupert
moggy

Re: Solo No7

Post by moggy »

ooohhhh that would look nice next to GP #7

just wish I had room!!... anyone want to take GP #23 on as a project???
GP14 - 7
GP14 -ex 23
GP14 - 13796

Enterprise - 20059
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Solo no 7 - Tessa was owned in her first ownership for many years by Jo Askew of Mimima Yacht Club at Kingston Jo was a pioneer of independent Television the boat was named after his wife, he also crewed for Murray Vines (Father of one half of the Vines clan, brother of Alan) in his National 18 an early glued boat designed by Ian Proctor and built by Andersen Rigden and Perkins at Whitstable.
They swept all before them.
I guess Tess would have been Holt built.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

gosh, that sounds like a nice one.

It is great.....but just a little scary, how many interesting boats are being found in storage at the moment.

It is good...and I am glad, but just worry that we really don't have enough serious and reliable new owners for them.

Would it be better as DavidH has suggested if there was a 'rising value market' and then people would be encouraged to take them on without being scared of them just costing money....

Maybe, but I suspect not......we just need to try and find a few more owners who are interested in saving them and clubs who are willing to support them by offering decent racing.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

I regret that I'm not that au fait with the Solo 'history wise' - a bit of a gap in my Holt knowledgebase.

My questions would be.............

Is this the oldest remaining Solo? If not, are numbers 1 through 6 intact and sailing?

If it is the oldest, should the NMM at Falmouth be given the heads up?

There is though one other crucial aspect on this......what I DO know is that the Solos have a major milestone birthday looming large on the horizon. With that in mind, this boat suddenly takes on a new veneer of attractiveness.

It's funny Ed, there must be some other dynamic at work here (Jim C....help!) as the interest is growing but not 'across the piece' - some classes seem more keen than others to embrace their past. From what I've heard, the Enterprise Class now have a growing level of 'wish to be involved', ditto I'm hearing that even the Phantoms would like to be doing more and the 505s are working hard at the subject. Other classes though seem to hold the idea at arms length. Now I'm not saying that the Solos are doing this but at the same time, I'd have expected this boat to be snapped up in a flash from within the class!

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I'd have expected this boat to be snapped up in a flash from within the class!
Well that would be good.....

I hope so, I really do.....but to be honest I won't hold my breath.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

The Solo website has a boat register:

http://members.ziggo.nl/broekvd/Solo.xls

Solo 7 is recorded as being built by Jack Holt 1/4/56.

Solo 2 is still around and is a well known boat.

I have a feeling I recently saw a reference to Solo 1 also surviving but can't recall the details. Might be mistaken there; really can't be sure!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 & 14463
roger

Post by roger »

davidh wrote:I regret that I'm not that au fait with the Solo 'history wise' - a bit of a gap in my Holt knowledgebase.

My questions would be.............

Is this the oldest remaining Solo? If not, are numbers 1 through 6 intact and sailing?

If it is the oldest, should the NMM at Falmouth be given the heads up?

There is though one other crucial aspect on this......what I DO know is that the Solos have a major milestone birthday looming large on the horizon. With that in mind, this boat suddenly takes on a new veneer of attractiveness.

It's funny Ed, there must be some other dynamic at work here (Jim C....help!) as the interest is growing but not 'across the piece' - some classes seem more keen than others to embrace their past. From what I've heard, the Enterprise Class now have a growing level of 'wish to be involved', ditto I'm hearing that even the Phantoms would like to be doing more and the 505s are working hard at the subject. Other classes though seem to hold the idea at arms length. Now I'm not saying that the Solos are doing this but at the same time, I'd have expected this boat to be snapped up in a flash from within the class!

D
I dont think NMM would be interested. When offered Shoestring they came and had a look and said we already have an example of a Holt boat and turned her down. I for one am pleased they did turn her down or she may be hanging from the cieling like Merlin 2 where no one can see her properly and she would just dry out and fall apart. Personally I was very disapointed with the content when I visited. Very much aimed at school parties and dumbed down.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Update from Nick - turns out she is 70, not 7. However, he has had a fair few enquiries already from here, and is hopeful of a new owner anyway. In some ways, no 70 is less of a responsibility!
Rupert