Could this be a ????????????

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Now we really are getting obscure...any pics?
Rupert
keithr

Post by keithr »

I dont think its a Hunter as they were same as Peggie just a bit longer and aft deck. One on ebay before Xmas.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
davidh

Post by davidh »

10 of of 10 to JohnK - yes, it's a Silver Streak, from the same drawing board as the Phantom!!

I do hope someone picks this up - a real coup for the 'lost classes' wing.

Regarding some of the other comments made in this string - I've now completed the article on the Ghost and Typhoon, it should go into the May edition of Dinghy Magazine. I'm still trying to sort out a Typhoon to bring along to the events, by all accounts I just missed one a few months back somewhere in a school up in the bedford area.

back to the Silver Streak: one of the 'possibilities' was a Marlin, a neat little all grp boat from Ian Proctor. In digging around on this it seems that it was quite nippy in handicap events, hmmnnnn, food for thought there. I was suprised to find one at my home club (Netley), I'm going to try to get him involved. Does the Association have any other Marlins sailing at the events?
David
David H
stotty

Post by stotty »

yeah i gotta marlin - 4 wheel 30's style alfa romeo 2300 monza - really a sierra kit car!!
salut
tony s
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not good on his tape measure then, this chap...
We have no Marlins competing, but maybe one day! At 13'1" and a handicap of 97, I don't think she'll have it all her own way, mind!
Not sure that is quite what David had in mind, Stotty...fuel cheaper in France, of course!
Rupert
stotty

Post by stotty »

salut
could be a few leaks as well! better buy an extra large pot of filla
tony s
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm not sure Rupert, I had a look at the Marlin and while it's a million miles from an out and out 'screamer' it's got some nice underwater lines - for somewhere like Chippenham a boat that like, with it's lower wetted area. spinnaker... if not carrying too mauch weight, well, could be useful!

Having just completed research on the Typhoon and Ghost both became unstuck over the PY number issue. To saddle the Ghost - which was still in it's early stages, with the same handicap as the 5o5 was pretty much a 'kiss of death'. Greg Gregory dropped into me a bundle of his own pictures, one looks at the rig and the mind goes 'yeuck'! You'd need to have sorted the rig and done a lot more work before you'd get close to something to a 505 eater. That said, the Ghost did compete at Hamble River against the FD's (wow, going back there to when the FD's had fleet sailing at HRSC) but sadly died the death before things really got sorted.

Ditto the Typhoon: I think it was the then Fireball ace Peter bateman who sailed the Typhoon at the Pennine one of a king. His view was that it was a great boat but that sailing it of 86 was always going to be 'painful'. It's easy for us to forget what a golden time it was then, many new classes coming and going ( a bit like today maybe) with events like Pennine having a very real impact on a new boats future prospects.

Whoops - digressed again..... will try some unsubtle arm twisting on the marlin to see if I can get him involved

D
David H