FD anyone?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Obscured by clouds

FD anyone?

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Re: FD anyone?

Post by Ed »

Gosh, that is nice isn't it....

last thing in the world I need just at the moment.....but still, very nice.

What kind of year would this be.

It looks like a classic and an oldish one at that, but the guy was planning on taking it to Largs for the Worlds??

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

Built June 1978
roger

Post by roger »

Lovely got room in the shed if I get rid of all the others. Just haven't got £1500.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

At £1,500 it's a tad over priced £750 - £900 would be a more realistic figure

Tony
roger

Post by roger »

Such a shame. My dream boat but I just don't have anywhere to sail it or a tame Gorilla to crew her. Let alone space to store her.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

Roger it's a bit of a myth that you need. 6ft gorilla on the wire. You can be competitive in all but the heaviest wind with a crew that weighs as little as 13st. Ideal weights are 13.5 - 15st.

Tony
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I was surprised at how easy they are to sail. The old one I had for a while had no modern blocks and the genoa took a while to bring round but we just tacked less. Very nice to sail, just a lot of boat to look after.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

J89 what number FD did you own ?

Ta.
Tony
roger

Post by roger »

Tony one day I will have an FD
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

Roger if you ever want a sail in one, let me know & I will see what I can arrange.
nickfinn

Post by nickfinn »

The FD is not overpriced if the combi trailer and everything else is considered. I am really not sure about the ethics of criticising a Seller's asking price on a public forum. Perhaps this ought to be raised with the Seller and E-bay?

I am sure there are a number of enthusiasts who will relish owning an FD, who will have absolutely no interest what so ever in joining in with any serious racing, provided that there is a friendly and supportive group to organise events. Just look at the Classic Finn Fleet in the South West.

It should be recalled that the epoxy FD's from the 80's were built to withstand the huge rig forces which eventually transfer to fittings and the bolts that hold them down - this is the Achilles heel of a wooden FD, but this is not going to be a real concern to the fun sailor. The cockpit of the FD is so long that it can be sailed with five sitting along the side deck.
nickfinn

Post by nickfinn »

The FD is not overpriced if the combi trailer and everything else is considered. I am really not sure about the ethics of criticising a Seller's asking price on a public forum. Perhaps this ought to be raised with the Seller and E-bay?

I am sure there are a number of enthusiasts who will relish owning an FD, who will have absolutely no interest what so ever in joining in with any serious racing, provided that there is a friendly and supportive group to organise events. Just look at the Classic Finn Fleet in the South West.

It should be recalled that the epoxy FD's from the 80's were built to withstand the huge rig forces which eventually transfer to fittings and the bolts that hold them down - this is the Achilles heel of a wooden FD, but this is not going to be a real concern to the fun sailor. The cockpit of the FD is so long that it can be sailed with five sitting along the side deck.
roger

Post by roger »

Tony, I sailed in one with Toby Dale many years ago in the early days of Fastsail. I was a total novice at the time and it was a quiet day but I did enjoy it.
Would love to have another go sometime. I will take you up on your offer.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

I'm just in the middle of my first article in the new 'classic' series and I think I may well be touching on the issues of the bigger boats - and the reasons why they are not, as yet, really figuring in the classic revival. However, I saw the 'green shoots' of this at Bosham - at their Classic Dinghy Revival meeting with boats like the n18s and Sharpies turning out.

I know that this is a highly personal view but I would just love to see the Classics embracing the heavier metal....a 'fastsail for the oldies' approach - that would allow the older F'balls, Hornets, Ospreys, FDs, 505s - plus the pocket rockets - the M14s, INt 14s, Jacksnipe, Typhoon and Lazy E.

Biggest issue is to find somewhere where these boats can get unwound - given that many of the boats are oldies, inland is probably better than open sea, which suggests a larger lake - somewhere where the air is reasonably clear too......

If someone has any ideas, I'd certainly help at promoting it in the articles.......

D
David H