FD anyone?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Rupert

Re: FD anyone?

Post by Rupert »

Garda?
Rupert
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

Garda is the spiritual home of the FD.!!!!
nickfinn

Post by nickfinn »

Local centres to gravitate to would be Hickling Broad, which already have Norfolk Punts, with Sharpies at Wells and Brancaster. Whilst Derwent Reservoir Sailing Club in county Durham is probably the best IMO. Note of these are lakes are tidal which helps with other pressing priorities and when trying to organise an event.
nickfinn

Post by nickfinn »

Errr sorry not tidal and far more convenient for the weekend than Europe !
roger

Post by roger »

I don't know that there are that many of the older fastsail type boats about. The biggest turnout we have had of that sort of boat was at Netley with 3 JBs superdocious, Strangler in his Hornet and Shoestring.
I am not convinced you would get the boats but it would be nice if you could. I am afraid we wont be travelling this year but I may loan out Mah Jong to the right person but only a very few would be allowed to take Shoestring out.
The biggest issue with all these type of events is finding someone to organise it and I am in no position to go there again at the moment.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Places like Grafham, Rutland, Pitsford etc would suit such a meeting, but would they want to host it? And would the sailors want to pay their more expensive fees? I think another issue with such boats is that some owners are reluctant to trail the,.

I would buy it if I had space, and sail it at Grafham, but I have too many boats already!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'd have said that anywhere you could properly sail a 505 (somewhere bigger than Whitefriars!) ought to be okay for hosting FDs too. But I think that Nessa has put her finger on the issue..... would people want to pay to sail on one of the better stretches of water.

Certainly Grafham and Rutland would tick all the boxes, as would Pitsford/Northampton and Burton.

Again, the trick would probably be to 'bolt' the 'big boat' get together onto an existing Classic event, so you already have something in place in terms of Race Management/organisation and just general 'critical mass'.

It is interesting that the potential failure of the FD in the UK is by no means a 'one off' (though in Europe, the FD remains strong with growing fleets in some parts of eastern Europe)- word is reaching my ear that the Kestrel Class Association is in danger off/has disbanded. Now this in interesting, for it is only 3 seasons since I was RO for their Nationals and they had a better turn out than the Hornet with whom they shared the event! The Hornets might well point to their holding their 'europeans' down west this summer but is this really any different to the FDs holding their worlds up at Largs - if there is no 'pull through' for domestic activity, then the Hornets could very easily be next. (and this from someone who still has a big soft spot for the boat). Worse, the malaise the afflicts the FD, Hornet and others could also, very easily, impact on the 505. The boat might well be a powerhouse of activity elsewhere but domestically it is close to 'blue parrot' status.

As an observer, what one thing links these classes? To me, it has to be the failure to address the aging issue, both of their fleet and their sailors. The Finns have done a fantastic job at this, now the Solos want to follow suit, Merlins are a great advert as are the nat 12s (WHAT??? Only 2 nat 12s at the Warming Pan this weekend, with a wonderful forecast too?). The Hornets didn't want to know and are paying the price (to the point that when the CVRDA Nationals came to netley, the 'Champion' Hornet was CVRDA legal!!).

It could well be that the only outlet for these boats may soon be the Classic scene. There will be those who say "Classics, no, not us" but they remind me off the little moral tale we used to tell the children "Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone". So sad to see great classes such as the FD, on the outside, crying alone!

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Any of our events on larger waters would suit these boats - Roadford, Clywedog nationals, Blithfield also - that's half of our events already!
What we need to do is get that message out and try to persuade the owners to come sailing.
If classes such as the Kestrel are dying lets see if we can get through to the remaining qualifying owners before they lose all interest in the class. We didn't manage to contact the Pacer class before it folded but surely supporting a dying classic class by providing events they can join and a forum they can use is within our remit and not out of the usual given our history with the MiniSail, Pegasus and Jollyboat
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

For those of us who can't cope with a real FD there is a Flying Junior on Gumtree, near Norwich, £200
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

See this boat eventually sold on e-bay for £500 which was slightly lower than I expected but it's in the right ball park & in keeping with what other boats of that age & construction are going for. Even so someone got a lot of boat for his bucks.

Tony
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Tony L. wrote:See this boat eventually sold on e-bay for £500 which was slightly lower than I expected but it's in the right ball park & in keeping with what other boats of that age & construction are going for. Even so someone got a lot of boat for his bucks.

Tony
Took a big hit on that - he paid £1800 to the previous owner only a few months ago! :shock:
Tony L.

Post by Tony L. »

Ouch!!!