International Moth Lowrider wanted

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
roger

Re: International Moth Lowrider wanted

Post by roger »

If you are wanting a trapeze boat like a contender or RS600 but are to light have you looked at the Farr3.7 Lots of chat about it on the Y&Y forum.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi Al
Regarding speed it's all relative. The flying moths in top top hands have done in excess of 32 mph !!!! Crazy speeds.
The later narrow boats can outrun 20 - 25 hp ribs. ( Axman 6 onwards)
While the broad beam Magnums can feel very fast when approaching a dock wall.
More important is the feel of the boat. The Magnum 8 feels smooth as melted chocolate and fast as an arrow while my memory of the Magnum 5 is of an amazingly attractive agile gusty but little boat. While the narrow Magnum 9 ( a very intriguing development with bulbous bow and narrower on the water line than at the hulls base and with a very narrow pin tail transom) feels more like a run away race horse very very fast at times but distinctly unwilling to turn a corner.
As you can tell I am addicted to these plucky little boats with enormous heart and fantastic performance.
Come to Hunts Roadford or Banbury and I'd seriously try and twist Nessa's arm - I've never had the pleasure of sailing a Skol or similar but they look great.
Cheers
Alan
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

If I can get to one of the events I will bring prime8 out to play and swim round you would be welxcome to try it and im on the look out for another moth to mess with
Stu
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi Stu,

I've inadvertently put Nessa in a difficult position and to help undo my muddle I need to emphasise that the Hunts rally is for CVRDA eligible dinghies which I think rules out the Magnum 8's.

Roadford is open to non eligible Lowriding Moths who can race each other and with the Vintage and Classic Moths in a handicap competition at the same time and on the same course as the other CVRDA dinghies - although not of course compete in the main competition.

I am planning to bring both Magnums 8 and 9.9 to Roadford ( see below) so it'ad be gr8 to see you there. But what would be really really nice is to see the widest spread of Moths over the ages as possible both in a concourse d'elegance kind of way as well as sailing together.

7 Jun 2014 - 08 Jun 2014 Roadford Rally 2014 and Classic Finn Nationals
Goodacre Farm, Broadwoodwidger, Lifton, Devon, PL16 0JL.

Regards
ALAN
alw26

Post by alw26 »

Hey all,
If anyone sees this, I have decided to go for a Ghoul 2 design lowriding Moth. The hull, wings and mast are all carbon and the py number is 990 (I think?). Thanks again for the help.
slendotnet

Post by slendotnet »

Hey All,

I am searching for dedicated Moth enthusiasts to help with The International Moth Archive that I run and this was such an interesting thread discussing Al's search and final decision on a Moth that I thought I would post even though this thread is fairly dated.

I would appreciate any and all of you to offer up any pictures or video you have of your boats, plans, additions to the history or your stories of your boat and restoration projects.

Lets keep the Moth history alive so sailing enthusiast like Al can find what they need well into the future.

Cheers
Nels Drugge
International Moth Archive
http://international-moth-archive.org/
International Moth - Magnum 5