Sea Fire on the bay

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
phil58490

Sea Fire on the bay

Post by phil58490 »

Advertised as a Sea fire, someone was looking for one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sea-Fire-Sail ... 6016.l4276
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Hotspur

Re: Sea Fire on the bay

Post by Hotspur »

Aha! Thanks!

I was beginning to despair of ever finding one. I hope this one isn't cream-crackered.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the seller offers a test sail.....hmmmmm.

Does anyone have a pic of one afloat or in action? looks a nice boat.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Doesn't look as though I'm going to be able to take up the offer of a test sail, but my Dad's going to go and have a look at it as he lives in that neck of the woods. High hopes for this one - although the wooden battens in the GRP floor did give me slight cause for concern. Aren't those an issue on older GRP Solos?

@Nessa - here's a link with a pic of the prototype (originally named '4-1') under sail in its two-handed guise http://seaflymemories.org.uk/images/sdbrochure4_lg.jpg
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

[quote="Hotspur"]the wooden battens in the GRP floor did give me slight cause for concern. Aren't those an issue on older GRP Solos?

I had a GRP Solo with soggy wet floor battens, caused by holes from the toe straps and other fittings through the thin layer of fiberglass over the wood. I don't think it would be too hard a job to replace them by cutting/ sanding off the top layer of cloth, carefully peeling out the wooden stiffeners leaving a channel then and replacing with new wood and glassing over. Others may be able to suggest a better way to do it.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

phil58490 wrote:
Hotspur wrote:the wooden battens in the GRP floor did give me slight cause for concern. Aren't those an issue on older GRP Solos?
I had a GRP Solo with soggy wet floor battens, caused by holes from the toe straps and other fittings through the thin layer of fiberglass over the wood. I don't think it would be too hard a job to replace them by cutting/ sanding off the top layer of cloth, carefully peeling out the wooden stiffeners leaving a channel then and replacing with new wood and glassing over. Others may be able to suggest a better way to do it.
Thanks Phil. It looks as though the '4-1' may have undergone some development before becoming the Seafire. It mentions a 'tumblehome' to the hull, which by the look of those images on the old brochure, it has at the stern. However, the pics of other Seafires I've seen definitely have a slight, but obvious flare all the way along the hull.
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Well, I dispatched my parents to go and have a look at the Seafire today, they took some pics. Will debrief properly tomorrow.

I don't own the boat yet but I'm hopeful. I suspect it dates from the early 60s rather than the 50s, and it's certainly a lost class - I take it it's fully CVRDAable?
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Thanks Nessa. That's the related Seafly - looks as though it can handle a breeze OK!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Very CVRDA able.
Al
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I was doin that thing where you crane your neck trying to see further up the sail whewre the logo is...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Nessa wrote:I was doin that thing where you crane your neck trying to see further up the sail whewre the logo is...
Haha, I know what you mean! The symbol was briefly visible on the 'getting ready to go out' video, though both symbols are quite similar as you'd expect. I suspect the Seafire would look very similar afloat, just with lower freeboard - according to the owner it ships a bit of water in a chop, but the self-bailer deals with that. My Dad says it's actually quite big and heavy, a bit more than I was expecting. They obviously built them to last down in South Devon. I've never seen one in the flesh but I'd thought it was Solo-sized, apparently it's a good deal bigger. I need to be able to handle the thing by myself so I may try and get down there before the auction ends.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

According too dinghy data base 14ft by 5ft 11inches. Weight ?
Al
ent228

Post by ent228 »

The brochure says "tumble home" deck design provides comfortable sailing.

I assume this is not refering to the hull but to the deck and I can only imagine that it means something like the sloping inwards deck of a Solo....
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

I've decided against this one on the basis that it doesn't have a proper road trailer which would be suitable for long distances, plus the boat is actually somewhat bigger and heavier than I had thought. Still, It is apparently in good nick and would be well worth a go if someone wanted an unusual but attractive classic boat that reportedly performs well.

I've got some more photos I'll post when I'm at my PC