Merlin Rocket 2482 - Hotspur design built by Aln Boatyard

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
chrismartin3583

Merlin Rocket 2482 - Hotspur design built by Aln Boatyard

Post by chrismartin3583 »

Hi all,

This boat has just come into my possession as part payment on a job on another boat that the owner was taking abroad when he emigrates in a few days time.

I will not have the opportunity to "do" the boat for quite some time, and it's far too good to allow to sit outside and rot or asset strip and sick on the bonfire.

As the title says she's a Hotspur 206, built by the Aln Boatyard in around 1971. The hull is in very good condition, with only localised areas that need a little tlc - the hull will not need any work this season, or quite possibly next either. The deck requires somewhat more work, but is certainly saveable quite easily. There is some local delamination of the deck ply on the foredeck and extreme aft end of the starboard side deck. These areas require reinforcing underneath and soaking in glue. Then the deck needs completely stripping and revarnishing. I'd say that this does really need to be done before the boat is sailed.

That the bad bits out of the way, onto the good bits.

She has new Crewsaver buoyancy bags all round. She has numerous brand new fittings by Harken and Allen, as well as much new string. She comes with several period suits of sails, Needlespar mast and Proctor C section boom. A launching trolley will also be included. She is a complete package that needs around £100 spending on glue and varnish and around a weeks worth of evenings and a weekend spending on sorting her out.

The boat owes me £300, and I think that the fittings and buoyancy bags alone are easily worth that.

Photos will be taken tomorrow, and are available via email - paramedic3602ATyahoo.co.uk

my phone number is 07966 687 785

If you'd like further details please give me a call!
KeithCallaghan

Re: Merlin Rocket 2482 - Hotspur design built by Aln Boatyar

Post by KeithCallaghan »

Hello Chris, I remember that boat - 'The Green Rock Machine' - owned by Dave Rock-Evans. Aln Boatyard were superb builders of Merlin Rockets - they looked good and were structurally very sound and built to last, so I have no doubt that MR2482 will be in good condition for its age. The Hotspur was my first successful MR design, coming 4th in 1970 and in the hands of Patrick Blake, winning the Silver Tiller series in 1971. It is more 'river' orientated than my later designs and would make an excellent and competitive vintage MR (but I would say that, wouldn't I?).
chrismartin3583

Photos now taken :-

She is a very solid boat in need of pretty basic TLC really.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Please note that the combi trailer in the photos is NOT the one for the boat, it was used for transportation and is not for sale.
chrismartin3583

Sold and off to Belgium!