Fairy Finn

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Now she is beautiful. If only I was even a couple of stone heavier, or 6" taller...
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Come on Neil you know it would make sense and you have reduced the fleet over the weekend.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I know....I'm thinking hard.....

nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Been there, got the T-shirt - twice ! But God, I'm tempted.

Nick
davidh

Post by davidh »

Even for a professed non lover of Finns this has caught my eye, this really does look the business. Has anyone been able to work out anything of the provenence of this boat. Charles Currey was of course in those days both our top Finn sailor and worked at Faireys, if he'd had an involvement in the boat then it really would be worth another look.

BTW..... on Ebay there's a nice merlin, at a rough guess I'd suggest that it's a Smokers BUT £800???? errr..no, don't think so even though it's a very pretty boat. Not so the 4XXX 5o5, why do people think that punters are going to rush out and splash their money on boats like that. (answers on a postcard please)

KEEP looking back at the Finn but no, can't do it - but then, Briidport is only an hour or so down the road on the Honda.....

Will try to make a start on the photo's asap.
(have a V good one of another Fairey Finn doubling as an armchair!!)

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

absolutely georgeous!

Very very close in looks to mine (Peter Vinton's) which is K197.

Go for it Neil.....

but I think you should add a little to my estimate of 'worth'

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Shhh.....don't tell everyone I'm going to bid........

PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Don't let your weight hold you back Rupert. I was only 10 and a half stone most of the time I sailed Finns competitively, and think how fast you'd go in light winds!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter,

is there much going on with the Finn class with reference to their older boats. I know that there is a very good 'masters' section for old Finn sailors, Howard Sellars at 64 still sails regularly on the Masters Circuit (and took the medium handicap Chichester Snowflake this year) albeit in a Devotti boat..... the older boats though seem to be over looked.

Sad but true - your boat did look the part on Saturday. Had that been any other singlehander you'd have been scruched up - not seen reclined back as if in a Parker Knoll!!!

Had mixed feelings...still like the idea of a Unit BUT that would have been almost as bad a Contender in those light conditions.

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd not be able to pull her up the slipway, Peter...I just hope that whoever buys her, she ends up at Clywedog so I can stand and gaze at her for an hour or so, sighing. Cheaper than buying her, that is!
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

david,
I don't think there is much happening for old Finns. There is a very thriving Masters scene, but from what I can see they're all sailing brand new boats. Alan told me he'd tried to muster interest in the class for older boats but with little success. I was wondering about going along but I'd need to know my boat wasn't going to be in a different league before trying.
I think like many classes people have got a lot more money now and believe you need the latest gear to do well. I think that there's much less margin between a new boat and and old one with a good rig than people think. Certainly I've found I could be competitive in a 1969 Lark at Salcombe Week and I also found I could be in the top 20 of a 120 boat Laser inlands in a 1973 boat. I suppose if you aren't winning it's easier to blame the gear!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter,
Again this is a topic that I'd expect to be very close to the CVRDA's heart - when is a one design a one design? Larks and Lasers are two boats that really do satisfy the title - others, well, I'm not so sure.

I was closely involved in 505's for a time when Parkers and Rondars were very much head to head. I sailed in both and there was a noticeable difference - one was better in a seaway while the other picked up and planed earlier in marginal conditions. Yet both were brand new boats....... hmmnnn. Contenders too have seen some variation in hull shape with some racers finding that one is better than another.... or is it all in the mind?

As is so often the case what you do and how you sail is probably of greater import than the boat itself. As you pointed out if you're a lightweight in a Finn then you'll fly downwind and in the lighter conditions....... and as the Association don't sail on big open water courses then that's another thing not to worry about.

I peeked again at the Finn on Ebay... it still looks great BUT..NO - one day a Unit will make it's appearance (though the thought of a Unit - or a Canoe - at Baltic Wharf makes one think 'hard work'!!)

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Neal go for it.
Cheers Al
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David
A Unit did make an appearence on e-bay sometime during the last two years.
Cheers Al