moth Still Wanted?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
cweed

moth Still Wanted?

Post by cweed »

bornagainmothie

Re: moth Still Wanted?

Post by bornagainmothie »

Another Magnum 7 :)

I'm sure that paint job has been featured on the forum previously
Moth.K3894

Post by Moth.K3894 »

Hello,

In a fit of madness, I bought this one after the ebay auction finished (for less than the asking price). Does anyone have any details of what it is? I thought it was a magnum 6 but someone thinks its a magnum 7?

I've never sailing a moth, it should be interesting.

It's mast is a 3 part carbon fibre rig, which is a little ropy, any ideas on what I could replace it with?

Also if I do manage to sail it (the question is more can I get in it? As I think I can sail it if I can get in it) would/is it possible to make it into a foiler with a conversion kit? Or is it better to keep this as a 'classic' and get a foiler once I master the art of moth sailing? Any ideas/comments welcome.

Thanks

Mike
K3894
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your purchase, I can confirm that you have a Magnum 7 there. The number is correct for a 7 and the hull shape, particularly the rockered keel line is spot on. I know because i have one and so does Miles. Yours included, we now have 50% of the Magnum 7 fleet surviving in the CVRDA, they are that rare !

From the photos, and apart from the stunning paint job, your boat looks to be fairly original and I would advise leaving it like that until you have learnt to sail it and fully understand what could be improved for your circumstances. The carbon mast is obviously a later addition and might have been extended to accomodate the lower foredeck of the magnum compared to the narrow boats. The original mast would have been a needlespar type or a very light Proctor section. For classic racing we try to keep as much as possible in original form but its not always easy to find. Another classic moth joining us on the water is more important and we have plenty of data on which to base PY ratings for various designs. If the mast is usable You will find the lighter weight of a carbon mast makes learning a bit easier for now.

Many of the last of the lowriders, ie the narrow hulls with T-foils and carbon rigs, were converted to foilers in the early days of foiling because anything that could achieve the take-off speed would do to get airborne. Although it may be possible for novelty value, the stresses generated by the hydrofoils would require drastic re-engineering of a plywood hull like a magnum's so ultimately, it would be easier to build a new carbon boat for the purpose.

But, don't worry about foiling it, you have bought a thoroughbred racing machine that is more than enough of a challenge. Fortunately, we can help you. In the events section you will find details of our classic moth training weekend at Oxford in June. It would be great to see you there.

In the meantime there is plenty of classic moth related chat and knowledge within these pages.

Regards

Lyndon
Moth.K3894

Post by Moth.K3894 »

Hi Lyndon,

Cool, I also like classic boats so if its rare I will probably lean towards keeping it as is (as you suggest). Oxford is not that far from me (I live on the South Coast and work in Newbury) so if I am free that weekend I will definitely try to make it up there.

For now, if I can get it up and running, I will come out and do a little racing.

Thanks

Mike