Another Finn

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Mark

Post by Mark »

On Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Finn_W0QQitemZ724 ... dZViewItem
I won't quote Karen's exact words but the general gist was "NO"
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

It is an Elvstrom and Ive seen worse, must be worth saving, my wife also said no.The spares are out there to cheaply make this worthwhile.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

David i hope thats not you trying to bid against me?
If it is and you want to restore her i will leave it for you, as i only want it for parts(mainly the rubbing strip)
Happy bidding
Greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
davidh

Post by davidh »

Which David....sure isn't me!!!! (though I have many of the attributes for sailing a Finn .....likes kgs, lots of them).

No.... I've done my Finn sailing, it reminds me of GP14's and Enterboxs..

Picture the scene: A lovely sunny day, a fresh breeze and a good close reach. The boat is pounding through the waves, the wind is in your hair, the spray is in your face
And the toddler walking along the beach with his Mum is STIll going faster than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hohohohoho - the old ones are the best
D
David H
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

O sorry
Theres someone bidding on it with the user name davidh so i assumed it was you since it was also close to you
O well hey ho
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
davidh

Post by davidh »

ekkk - it's the attack of the clones!

Must be another David H..... ask or look around for a 95+ kg humpback with 'other' problems! I always understood Finn sailors to be wannabe Enterbox sailors but who couldn't manage the jib.

With that passing shot think I'll exit gracefully

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David
Whats the most suitable name for a Unit Sink of course.
Cheers Alan Finn 340 etc.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I did wonder whether the prototype was built in his kitchen?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Many a true word said in jest..... in researching the Unit I finally found that Unit 1 (the wooden masterpiece built by Jack Chippendale) did indeed 'sink'...really!!

Could always carry a British Moth on board as a tender........

D
David H
David HL

Post by David HL »

Hi. I am David HL, the guy who DID bid and win the old blue Finn hull on ebay..I was actually minding my own business, having sold my old Finn last year and being quite content with its replacement, a slightly newer glass 505, when my mouse fingers slipped a few times and I found myself the proud and very happy owner of another Finn carcass. If anyone has, or knows of any cheap Finn: Rudders!!, masts, booms, sails, kicking straps, launching trolleys etc. please let me know. Pegasus, if that was you I was talking to through ebay, then I would be keen to hear details of your sail. I don't know where to get a rubbing strip but I'll try and think and let you know. (Obviously you will have considered the obvious source: an old wooden dinghy, preferably a Wayfarer!) To David H, apologies for using a name similar to yours on this site. If you object, or it gets difficult, then I'll change it. By the way: 1: I'm 102kg+ not 95..2kg for each year 2. It's not juct jibs that Finn sailors can't deal with, it's people too! 3. I found your reminiscences of Fairey Marine fascinating and would like to hear more about the process and manufacturing methods.
David finn@missnoma.com
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi david,

Nt sure what happened there - thought I'd posted a reply to you but it's gone!!
Worry not about the DavidH's...you know who you are... I know who I am, the rest are just jealous, confused or both.

Well done on getting the Finn.... you're safe for now (as are the other Finns) as it's been a BAD weekend. Sailed the Blaze while waiting for good conditions to go to see the Unit. Was working upwind when the Rack mounting failed totally, trapping my leg (foot under the toe straps) against the gunwhale. Needed full on rescue, NHS job, am now on crutches and will be out of action for 3 -6 weeks (Rooney and your metatarsal...eat your heart out)

Think I'll put my faith in older boats

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Best wishes with the recovery.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ditto with the ouches...hope it doesn't keep you off the water too long.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim, Rupert.

Thanks for that - much needed right now! I've been to see the boat today, club members had got it back into it's space for me and there's a clear expression of view that the mountings are not fit for purpose. It's a single screw through the wall of the tube, it's backed by a single countersunk washer. Failures of the rack mounting are not unknown - nor am I the first to be injured in this way. I have to wait to see what Topper - the 'Builders' of the Blaze have to say tomorrow but seeing that someone with a year old boat has been trying for recompense for HIS rack failure since last October I guess I'm not wildly optimistic.

What made things worse was that after this all happened I had other 'problems': I didn't know what had happened at first, thought it was a toe strap parting.... and as I was leading was wanting to get going again asap. I hauled myself up onto the plate, tried to stand, my leg gave way and I feel down the aft edge of the plate. Now here's a charmer - you can knock the centreboard forward so far that it comes right through the hull and folds forward towards the mast.... at which point gamy leg or not you're bu***ered!!!!!

How does this happen on a 3 year old 'state of the art' dinghy? I'd not expect this from an old boat - let alone one that is very much the modern/lightweight/racked norm.

I'm not sure how long I'll be 'out' for...fingers crossed it's the 3 rather than the 6 weeks!!!!!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And actually not really that light weight, so it can't be blamed on trying to save weight, just on trying to save money. I have a sneaking suspicion that you are not alone in the Blaze class in wishing the boat had a different builder.
Rupert