FREE BRITISH MOTH

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
infidel

FREE BRITISH MOTH

Post by infidel »

British Moth no. 296, free to good home. All present, though no trolley or trailer. Sound wooden mast and boom, though surface split running along a couple of feet of boom; small dent on deck; one sail, cockpit cover; paddles. Centreboard is broken, but both pieces present. Needs full paint and varnish restoration, when she will be a captivating little boat once more. I went to look at her, and brought her back, as the elderly owner, who was moving house, couldn't take it with her, and planned to burn it if a home couldn't be found. Had been hung from a garage roof, so very dry. I have absolutely no chance of even starting work on her, but thought someone else might want to restore her if I rescued her. She's to collect from Market Drayton. I have pictures if you're interested. Stewart
roger

Re: FREE BRITISH MOTH

Post by roger »

You are as bad as the rest of us Stewart, you just cant help it can you? :lol:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
infidel

Post by infidel »

Indeed Roger! And absolutely no therapy seems to work......fortunately!
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

infidel wrote:Indeed Roger! And absolutely no therapy seems to work......fortunately!
This is therapy...

(or at least, that's my excuse :wink:)
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
davidh

Post by davidh »

Infidel,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can I have a picture?

I can't believe it, 296 is my old boat, my first ever racing dinghy, it was called Skiffle and weighed a ton!

I bought it from Littleton and sailed it at Netley Cliff SC as I was then a Civil Servant. I have a huge sense of happiness that it still exists. It should have a box like structure built over the plate case as I converted it to centre mainsheet.

A boat that has much to answer for.... as sailing Skiffle set me out on a path that would lead me through a lifetime of dinghy racing and yachting (proof of a mis-spent youth). Can you tell me where the boat is?

Many thanks

Dougal
David H
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Wonderful story, hope you can be re-united!

Market Drayton - Shropshire I presume.

Not too far from me if you need any assistance with inspection or transport Dougal.

cheers

Lyndon
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Lyndon,

I'd love it, but would have to be cut in two to fit into the boat (I suppose I could have two and wear them like slippers).

My oh my, does that boat have some history! Instead of being called Skiffle, it should have been named 'toxic' - given the trouble that boat got me into. I was a nice sweet boy before that.... it all went downhill from there. I was explaining to Stewart, who owns the boat, that there are some real secrets hidden in the woodwork. At first sailing the boat earned me the nick-name of 'Mothaks' (Moth Balls... though the younger generation my still have a puzzled look on their faces) but that didn't last long. It was at this time that I was christened 'Dougal', a name that has stuck with me, where ever I go and whatever I do.(do not waste your time asking the background to the story..... it wouldn't be printable anyway).

From Moths to Merlins, then Fireballs...lots of Fireballs, back to Merlins and then....everything. If it floated I sailed it. As time went on I did more and more and I suppose got better along the way. Since then I've sailed at location around the world and gotten into trouble more times than I care to think about - but it all started in that damn boat!

I'd love to have it back and make it into a beautiful boat but that would be the nostalgic heart trying to rule the head. But please, someone save it and then I'd love to come and sail it - just for old times sake.

D
David H
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

davidh wrote:Hi Lyndon,

My oh my, does that boat have some history! Instead of being called Skiffle, it should have been named 'toxic' - given the trouble that boat got me into. I was a nice sweet boy before that.... it all went downhill from there. I was explaining to Stewart, who owns the boat, that there are some real secrets hidden in the woodwork. At first sailing the boat earned me the nick-name of 'Mothaks' (Moth Balls... though the younger generation my still have a puzzled look on their faces)

D
Being part of that younger generation; is this something to do with capsizing, or 'crashing' frequently and having the boat in the garage/work shop for repair half the time?

The internet seems to suggest so....
  • To remove (a ship, for example) from active service or use and put into protective storage.

It was known as Mothacks where the Cambrian Viscount crashed
Sources: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mothball, http://derbosoft.proboards.com/thread/3 ... n-aircrash

Cheers...
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
davidh

Post by davidh »

Max,

No....Mothaks= Moth Balls....Naphthalene (c10h8 for the techy). Back in the mists of time, people bought mothaks and left them in their wardrobes to stop the Moths from eating their clothes. If you took something out of the wardrobe, you had to let it hang for the day, preferably outside in breeze, to lose the quite distinct smell that would hang around for a while.

So Mothaks would equate to Moth balls - bearing in mind the nature of the Fireball helm that called me this, it was better than it might have been. (and would change soon enough as I said).

As an FYI - traditional Mothaks - Naphtha based ones, are, I think, now banned....so I guess you'd not recognise the smell. BUT - best of all, you could make quite effective explosives out of mothaks, almost on a par with weedkiller and sugar. Tamp some down the saddle tube on a push bike and you could split the frame open like a tin can!

Life was SO much more fun before Health and Safety!

D
David H