It's not an Enterprise... but what is it??

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
realnutter

It's not an Enterprise... but what is it??

Post by realnutter »

Matt

Int Moth K2992
jpa_wfsc

Re: It's not an Enterprise... but what is it??

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Osprey - Mk 1 (stern tank) and therefore nicer IMHO... Clearly needs total re-decking and therefore one might expect much more trouble below..
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Early Osprey. The association sticker on the transom is a bit of a give away.
roger

Post by roger »

Optimistic at £300.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

FTGH would be more realistic!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm all sad now, Ed...
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:FTGH would be more realistic!
FTABF sadly?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

roger wrote:Optimistic at £300.
I watched it drift past first time round and he had it listed at £500! Sure the world loves an optimist but come on... minor damage? easily repaired?,,, low cost?? No mention of any spars and didn't care about the village in Scotland bit.
...well if it was easy everybody would have one.
roger

Post by roger »

TheGuvnah wrote:
roger wrote:Optimistic at £300.
I watched it drift past first time round and he had it listed at £500! Sure the world loves an optimist but come on... minor damage? easily repaired?,,, low cost?? No mention of any spars and didn't care about the village in Scotland bit.
I`m afraid we have become a bit jaded over the optimistic hopes of someone who has found a "rare" "classic" boat which increase its value beyond that of bonfire material.

Having said that Chris has revived quite a few Guy Fawkes donations into stunning beauties. He never pays for them though.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

jpa_wfsc wrote:Osprey - Mk 1 (stern tank) and therefore nicer IMHO... Clearly needs total re-decking and therefore one might expect much more trouble below..
jpa_wfsc wrote:Osprey - Mk 1 ... Clearly needs total re-decking and therefore one might expect much more trouble below..
And you'd be right... :(

...because after a month's pondering and much stroking of the Guvnah's unshaven (but handsomely chiselled) chin and based on nothing more than "I'll kick myself if I don't at least give her a look-see" we've just got back from Gloucester having done just that!

A reminder of the vessel in question...

Was it a big meteorite?

The consensus of the thread contributors is that this is a junker, if I didn't have another Osprey to partner it I would have to agree. In fact I wouldn't have given it a second look let alone clicked it onto the WATCH list. However seeing as I do have a contemporary and the prospect of each of the boys having their own Ozzy to thrape was sufficient incentive to give this boat one last chance at life. Well she's got to be worth a tenner's worth of diesel before an irrevocable sentence is passed. Yeah yeah, ridiculously romantic, I know I know, but let's be honest none of us would be here if we weren't all thus afflicted to some degree. So long as we know that romanticism comes with a price tag, no problem.

In this case it'd be a hefty one if the job was subbed out to a boatyard. Apart from the obvious damage in the pics all the deck ply is scrap, mostly detached from the framing and with the structural integrity of a Kit-Kat. My youngest (8) could snap it between thumb and finger.
The hull plies however seem to be in pretty good nick under the flaking paint. Damp has got under the paint and lifted a lot of it but I think it might dry out satisfactorily if stripped off but honestly if little Chaz can snap it would I want to leave it on? Answer NO - so yes it will need a complete re-skin.
Inside the side tanks it all looks tickety-boo, no rot or mould in fact it smells sweetly of timber and nothing else.

A lot of the framing joints have indeed been sprung by whatever hit it but it's the glue that's failed and I couldn't find any snapped of fractured ones. Given that scenario one has to suspect every glued joint on the boat so the only course I think would be to strip down to the framing. Now we're talking dimensional tolerances, measurement rules, building a restaining jig around the whole hull... no drawings in the public domain... pffft??? The only plus point is that I'd have a structurally and dimensionally sound Osprey ten feet away against which to verify dimensions.

The centreboard case and knees were in good serviceable condition. What isn't so good is it's attachment to the keel. There has been water penetration into the hog timber from about the middle of the c/board case forward to the mast step. There's a lot of softened timber there where it's been stored bow down and water has been allowed to pool. Bugger, that's probably the killer for this boat.
On the underside; the keel timber is separating from the hull along near enough its entire length and in turn the rubbing strip has detached from that!

Six sails: of which three look usable.

Boom = good condition.

Mast = need a good going over but look basically sound.

Standing rigging = as above but didn't have a chance to separately examine it all.

As for the trailer combo...
The road base = shabby but of decent gauge so could be made presentable with a week's work and a hundred quid, will in all likelihood need new tyres and and proper check of the bearings/races/seals before I'd feel confident in trailing it.

Launch trolley = scrap, paper thin square section tube, immediately regretted leaning on the gunwale once I saw the extent of the corrosion, marvelled at how it had survived the 25mile tow to its current resting place as the for'd hull support bracket is about to collapse and dump the hull onto the floor! I didn't even dare to poke that bit with the screwdriver in case in doing so I was the one who inadvertently brought about the final coupe de grace.

So do I or don't I??? That is the question. Come on folks, you've all been here, should I walk?

:?: :?: :?:
...well if it was easy everybody would have one.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

How brave are you? I've been here several times, and failed on a couple, so sending good money after bad. I've since given up buying anything bigger than a Minisail to rebuild!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Well, to me that looks basically like a 100% restoration, the sort that leaves the boat with three lumps of original timber and the rest new. These cost, of course, typically more than building an all new hull. So what is there about this boat that justifies that sort of expenditure?
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

The thing is with an Osprey is that unlike say a GP14 there isn't much of a frame to re-skin so since the hull is in such poor condition you're basically building a new boat. So a thumbs down from me I'm afraid :(
Best wishes

SB
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

A reminder of the vessel in question...
Guvnah,!!

I love this post. You have said so much that is what CVRDA is about.

Renovate and restore, not bodge and break.

Do not start a project unless you can properly finish it or hand it over to one that can.

All you need is love... and perhaps a large fortune.

Roger, I love it that Chris rescues the firewood and doesn't pay for it! perhaps he would if he needed some heat.
Michael Brigg