Magnum 8 (Winged, but not foiled moth)needs new home

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
ianL

Magnum 8 (Winged, but not foiled moth)needs new home

Post by ianL »

The most classicist dinghy design ever according to Y&Y.

Dry stored, wings, tramps, foils, aluminium spars, Standing & running rigging, all present and functional. There is a launching trolley which has a nice moulded fibreglass saddle to hold the hull, although the foam covering has not survived the winters (trolley not under cover).

The owner is no longer here and wants the boat to have a good home. He's sailed it in F3-5, going quite well until it came to corners (his first moth), so probably sound - or as sound as moths of that age can get. The integrity of the hull/deck looks a real tribute to the builder. The sail is somewhat newer (S/N 4043 & fully battened) than the hull (we sourced the sail and the rest separately, some years ago), and, as befits a moth, the whole is 'being fettled', aka in kit form.

More details etc, if there is any real interest. I think the first thing is to find it a good home, but if someone were to offer a contribution towards kiteboarding experiences, I'd make sure that ended up in the right place. Boat lying (can Moths lie?) Worcestershire, and we have only a little car with now tow-bar or rack, so sadly we cannot offer to move it around.

Oh, and it's tasteful blue (hull and decks). If anyone know where Claridge put the hull numbers I have have a closer look - I cannot find it at the moment (could be an over-painting issue).
Spiderman

Re: Magnum 8 (Winged, but not foiled moth)needs new home

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Ian, The CVRDA lowrider moth group seems to be gaining members at the moment so I think there will definitely be someone interested in the Moth you have described...I might even be tempted myself and you are not too far from me so would be easy to come over and have a look sometime. The hull number should be engraved into the hull on the top sides at the rear left hand corner just under the aft wing bar. If it is a Magnum 8 as you suggest then the number should be 39.. something. If you have any photos please post them as it will help us confirm the design and possibly even identify the boat itself. Great to hear about another Moth that may join the lowrider group and increase the fleet size.

Best Regards

Ian M
ianL

Post by ianL »

Thanks Ian,

So I think the hull number is K3932. Images to verify, or let the wisdom of crowds have a go at deciphering the number (predictably it was in the most inaccessible spot, as the boat is stored, so the number is upside down and back to front...), once I am back on a desktop machine.
Thatnumber.png
(68.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Early days.jpeg
(65.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
StandUp.png
(43.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Duly added...

KR

Ian L
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Yes, 3932 is a Magnum 8, and the photos confirm that hull shape.
From the first owner details I have, it hasn't strayed far from Worcestershire since new.

Lyndon
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Hello - very interested, will send you a PM.

Rob
ianL

Post by ianL »

Is looks like this boat had finished resting and is off to a new home(in January!) for some exercise. Thanks for being such a welcoming group. I’m glad I didn’t go via eBay etc