Iska, merlin 6

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
chris

Iska, merlin 6

Post by chris »

It is time for me to pass Iska on to a new custodian. This is merlin no. 6 and as far as is known is the oldest merlin still sailing.
No 2 which is the first merlin is in the museum in Falmouth but is in quite an altered condition. Iska is in completely original condition and has never been modernised with the exception of having the mast reduced in height from 25ft (above the sheer line) when the rules changed in 1949 however I sourced a second wooden mast and restored that one to the original max height, so there are two wooden masts with it. It has never had any terylene sails and has quite a selection of cotton sails including a main for the high aspect rig. There are cotton spinnakers too. It still has its original buoyancy of round aluminium drums. All the decking is the original.
I have repaired the framework under the side deck on the starboard side by very carefully removing the ply which is just fixed with screws, doing the repairs and returning the original ply. The framehad been flexing due to a split etc. I have only added a couple of coats of varnish to that side and it could do with a few more coats but I was intended to do the port side as well.
There is no launching trolley or trailer.
For several years I was the the custodian of Gently which was Jack Holts own merlin and won most of the early championships and so I haven’t sailed Iska for a few years. She has been kept in a well shaded shed but really wants to be sailed again. She is complete and ready to sail but would enjoy a little varnish on the side deck. She is certainly a heritage boat and lovely to sail and experience sailing from 1946. She has several documents too.
Offers around £500.
Photos to follow.
chris

Re: Iska, merlin 6

Post by chris »

iska sm.JPG
(48.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
chris

Post by chris »

Whitefriars10 - Edited (1).jpg
chris

Post by chris »

Iska has a new home now.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Good to know that Iska is safe!

I look forward to seeing her on the water again soon.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it