Fairey 505

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
davidh

Post by davidh »

Have a look at ebay.

A very early 505, I reckon it to be one of the hulls moulded by Faireys. Stiff but inclinded to be heavy this could be a useful CVRDA boat once the rig gets sorted.

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

don't have the link do you?

really can't buy another boat....but would be interested in seeing it.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Couldn't find it....but did find a Fairey Pixie.....never even seen one before...only heard of them:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VERY-RARE-FAIREY- ... dZViewItem

very nice

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I rebuilt one of these for Andrew Thornhill way back when. Great fun.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

The Fairey Pixie...... it's some story. Our family had one for years complete with all the 'trimmings'. There were fore and aft decking sections, a gunwale hung seat(for use when the canoe was to be rowed - so yes, oars too) and even a set of lee boards and the conversion kit to make it into a sailing canoe.

There was even an extended hull length version - again in two sections, made the whole thing about 11ft long. After my father's death much of the remaining Fairey stuff was passed on to a supporter of the Fairey Owners Assoc who was going to renovate the whole lot and put in on display.

We also had the 8mm footage of the Royal Marines doing trials on the military version of the Pixie down in Lulworth Cove. Not a lot of military thought however for in rough seas the Pixie surfed beautifully - the Marines seem to spend their time paddling out and blasting back in!

As far as I know the idea was that the two sections could be carried aboard a P or O class submarine for 'special operations' use by the SBS - a follow up to the 'folboats' of WW2.

I don't think they were ever that successful, they didn't paddle easily and would have been hard work over any distance and well nigh impossible into anything of a head sea. For creek hopping and just generally 'messing about in a boat' though they're huge fun!!

Another good Fairey idea that ended up falling by the wayside.

D
David H