Otter classic dinghy for sale

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
david r

Post by david r »

CLASSIC OTTER CLASS SAILING DINGHY

Boat no 255, Sail No 460...White/Grey GRP Length 12 foot, Beam 5 foot....Ideal for sailing inland ..yet rugged enough to handle a sea expedition....With built in bouyancy tanks it is very stable in a blow and a forgiving boat to sail..making it an excellent choice for youngsters...and the not so young! Main, Jib, Alloy Mast & Boom,Tiller & Rudder, all Sheets and Ropes are included ready to sail...This craft is in very good condition for its age and is fit for many more years of fun and enjoyment...Being of glass fibre construction it requires minimal annual maintenance.......Also included is a launching trolley

The boat can be inspected in Lechlade Glos.
see photos http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m223 ... 000628.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m223 ... 000627.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m223 ... 0626-1.jpg

For sale on ebay - sailing - dinghies item no 190031147600
Ends 23-Sep-06 22:15:39 BST

Happy bidding ......Low reserve....buyer to collect - pay cash on collection or paypal
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Is she at Bowmoor? Thinking about a boat that can live outside all year now I lack storage space...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Jeez.....the idea of you in a round bottomed 12 ft boat with that kind of handicap is a bit scarry!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
david r

Post by david r »

Rupert

Yes it is at Bowmoor
I will be at Bowmoor Sat & Sun if you want to come & have a look/sail etc.
David
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think (unless we get weather like we had today) that I'll be at Upper Thames on Saturday, but Sunday is certainly possible. If I do, I'll bring your traveller trophy too, shall I, just before you need to give it back!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Same handicap as the British Moth was before we decided it was silly. The one which used to come out at Roadford never seemed very quick?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

We've talked in the past on the forum about handicap hopefuls but I must admit that I'd not taken this so far as consideration of the Otter. If one really wanted to be a handicap 'bandit' then this is one very sneaky little ****er! - and carries a spinnaker too.

Eons ago I came up against a well sailed one, on the sea, and got my arse kicked big time! Then I borrowed it and found that you really could wind up people in much faster boats - I even slipped past a Hornet (maybe a poorly sailed one but.....) on a light airs run into the tide. Bearing in mind how many events are at places like Chippenham an Otter could be interesting, the only downside is that again you want a pair of lightweights sailing it!

And - if my memory serves me well, they were made at Gmachs, the original builders of the Kestrel and Lark, just along from here at Fordingbridge so quality is good!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David
Otter originally called a Glass Bubble and was built by John Baker who built the original Larks down here in Devon.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ahaha,

You mean the Kenton Forge crowd? I thought that Gmach's were also doing them here.... I had to take a Kestrel back there with a Bosun shaped hole in the side and picked up an Otter in return (neither were mine!) Either way, Gmachs or Kenton Forge, both good builders of the day.

Will you be at Shearwater Alan - if so I can give you your folder back. Your name is writ large in the latest dinghy mag so I hope there is something there in response for you/the Association.

Now I'm being asked to bring the whole thing up to date cat wise. I've covered the Dart 20 (Stampede).... the 6000 and Sting need more detail. In the end it's not like the dinghy scene, the elephants graveyards at cat clubs muts be full of plastic fantastics that are suddenly outdated.

I've picked up on the comments made elsewhere on the site about NACRA (interestingly, picked up on a number of means about poor customer service too) - can you think of any others that have been and gone without hardly bothering the scorer!!!

D
David H
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

There's not much 'otter than an 'hotter I suppose?? ;-)
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David
Still undecided on Shearwater as my Students start back to College on the Monday.
I have to also to submit a research paper to the Colleges Foundation Board the following Wednesday so alot will depend on whether the papers complete and the students resources are ready for them.
Cheers Al
Pat

Post by Pat »

Go on Alan, you know you can do it! Only 2 hours from Roadford so easy journey.
We might even have the local Otter out sailing, Peter often turns up on a Sunday.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Grrrrr.............

All this mention of Otters! In the end I put my thinking cap back on, it was at Netley Cliff (the old Civil Service Sailing Club) that the Otter was such a trial on Handicap. At the time there were several quite useful Fireball sailors there, I had an old but quick Merlin (a Proctor Mk12 no less) but in light to medium conditions we all found ourselves embarrassed on occasion. It got to the point that at the laying up supper (in those days one laid up in December and fitted out in March!) the song was sung as follows:-
(to the Tune of 'Red Sails in the Sunset')
Red Sails in the Sunset,
Hiked out on a beat
My God it's the Otter
And leading the Fleet.

Sung with some irony I can assure you.

STOP PRESS: Great news! I've been to the IoW today and inspected my boat, Unit No. 7. If one ignores the bright golden yellow colour scheme it looks to be sound though in need of some TLC.

Weather permitting it comes back to home on Tuesday, will then be tarted up and (hopefully) ready for next seasons events - I may try to do some of the bigger handicap regattas on the South Coast.

Looking again at the hull lines one can see that david Thomas got it 'just right' - will it still 'go' though.....watch this space! But, it does make an event at Netely even more attractive!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

On reflection, following a fun time at Upper Thames sailing the Firefly with Charlie yesterday (till he headbutted the centreboard case...), I think I'll stick for the moment with classes that offer fleet racing, till the urge to sail something no one has ever seen before becomes too strong again!
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I remember thinking an Otter was fantastic when I first saw one. Unfortunately I couldn't afford one (I had saved up £25, a Mirror kit was £73 and I was 10). So my brother and I bought a Brandy Hole One Design instead. Is that one in your books Rupert or is it one for the Christmas quiz?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash