ebay rarities ???

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
keithr

Post by keithr »

Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
DRLee

Post by DRLee »

I haven't seen a Harrier before, but the hull looks surprisingly modern and racy - any good reason why the class flopped? Wonder if the mould still exists?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Gosh, they both are very interesting arn't they....

The Harrier really does interest me. They have always looked like a really fun boat. There is someone on the CVRDA who has one....or at least there was some messages about the Harriers recently...wasn't there? Sure there is also some more material about the Harrier on Keith Callaghan's web site. Weren't the lines a copy or derivation from his Merlin designs? Isn't rig or sail same as Phantom/Fireball? Mind you...I wonder when it came upon its carbon mast? Description in Boat World Guide No1 from 1973 says "A una-rigged one-design for racing or pottering" he he doesn't look like a 'pottering' boat to me! Does seem a pity that it would certainly be outside CVRDA rules.

The Duckling looks nice too.....but so much money for so little boat. He says 'decks' came with the luxury model, but they don't look original...and I can't remember seeing others with decks...or can I? what do others think?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
JimC

Post by JimC »

I have owned a Harrier in the past. Nice idea, inadequate product development. The rudder was too short, the spreaderless mast totally out of control, some of the detail installation of fttings and the like poor.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've never seen decks on a duckling, but Fairey's did chop and change a lot. The sailing one I did up had a Mirror style "fordeck" below the gunwales.
There has been a lot about Harriers recently. I borrowed one a few years ago, which had a Lark main bunged on it. I felt far too small for the boat, and found it had to be flat or it filled up over the back of the foredeck. Seemed heavy and slow, but then it had been sitting in the weeds for years, so might have put on a few pounds...
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

I covered the Harrier in the 'Lost Classes' series so have lots of info.

The short story was that the boat was quite heavy and underpowered - some would say intentionally so. Lawrie Smith father had a big hand in the early days of the boats, some of the pictures used to publicise the boat actually show a young Mr Smith, complete with blond locks, at the helm.

Sadly the Harrier seemed to be far more popular on the lakes of Northern England than elsewhere - then, when the Laser really took off the 'end was nigh'. As Jim said, naff rudder, worse rig and as the boats got older the transoms fell out - a real weak spot.

There has been something of a revival though up in hull where they buy up old harriers, fit a Phantom rig and call it the Harrier +. Now that should be a boat worth sailing, I could imagine that as a very useful Classic singlehander - and handicap bandit to boot.

This one could then be an interesting boat for someone - though I'd expect team Hull to be in the chase for it too

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

I have a Harrier. I checked the transom and it has been sorted somewhere along the way.It really is underpowered as standard. this is why people have been fitting larger phantom rigs. Very wide so lots of righting moment to balance them. As standard, it really needs a F4 to F6 to sail to its handicap (98 in old money.

I picked up an old phantom rig for mine for £20 (IYE, not carbon :)) but have to finish setting it up properly.

Good fun and a good weight carrier for the more muscular among us. If anyone wants a go just let me know

Nigel