Mast for Firefly

Post your requirements here
martin62

Post by martin62 »

I'm restoring a Firefly and am looking for a mast and fittings in reasonable condition
Can a mast from another boat could also be used (?National 12)
I live in Hampshire.
Thanks

Martin Taylor
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Martin, the mast for a firefly can be one of 3 (or maybe 5!). The original used in 1946/7 was a straight tube. None of thses left, as far as I am aware! Then for many years the rotating Reynolds mast, with a wooden top, was used. There are still many around, but are getting rather corroded in general, now. This was replaced by the rotating Proctor mast about 35 years ago, which is gold, and had a very fat top (not much taper) These are bullet proof, but very stiff. A few years later, the class went over to using a standard non rotating sliver Proctor C section mast, as found on some N12s and many other classes. In 1996, an extra 3 inches was allowed under the boom to give the crew more room, with the same mast section. Sorry I've not got a spare. Hope this helps, and happy hunting!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

The Proctor C is reasonably common on many 12s....and other small classes such as the Lark. For what it is worth, I pinched mine from a totalled Lark.

It is worth looking for a reasonable Proctor C in my books rather than one of the other options....but just make sure it is a Proctor C.

cheers

eib

Oh.....I did know where a 'wooden top' mast was.....you can follow that up if you want and see if they still have it....but as I said personally I would recommend finding a 'C'
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
martin62

Post by martin62 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed</i>
<br />The Proctor C is reasonably common on many 12s....and other small classes such as the Lark. For what it is worth, I pinched mine from a totalled Lark.

It is worth looking for a reasonable Proctor C in my books rather than one of the other options....but just make sure it is a Proctor C.

cheers

eib

Oh.....I did know where a 'wooden top' mast was.....you can follow that up if you want and see if they still have it....but as I said personally I would recommend finding a 'C'

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">