SNIPE Dinghy.

Post your requirements here
STEVEB

SNIPE Dinghy.

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,

a few friends and I are going to try and rescue an old snipe hull from our clubs abandoned boats pile. However the boat was found dumped in our lake years ago so we have no bits at all and no others in the club.

Can anyone help with bits or information e.g. mast dimensions or anything similar?. I have been told these date from the early 1930's so it is definitely a CVRDA Class
thanks

Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

The class certainly dates from that time. They are still being built and very popular in other parts of the world.

Try http://snipe.org/scira/rules/index.php

It is not a great site but you will find all the rules that you need there.

Cheers
DC
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi David,
thanks for the link, anyone know where I can pick up a large mast, fireball or similar?
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Ebay is your first port of call but you may end up with an entire boat not just a mast.
also try the fireball website and any other classes that are similar size, i think the 505 might not be too far off that size as we use both fireball and 505's masts on the pegg

greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
davidh

Post by davidh »

greg,

You've a good point there about the rig size. I think that the rig for the Snipe is well below fireball/505 size, a Merlin Mast would be more like it.

After all, the Snipe is just a hiking boat, and a fairly narrow one at that.

When they put the Snipe rig onto the Jacksnipe it was horribly underpowered so on reflection........ I'd say maybe not even as big as an MR stick - maybe down to GP size!

David
David H
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
I think it is a bit bigger than that, the sail area is listed as 11.9 sq metres, thats a little more than a Wayfarer and definitely larger than any of the 14ft boats
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Snipe also has a very high boom - Jane and I considered one before getting a Pegasus - which also has a high boom. Both therefore need a relatively long mast for the main sail area.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.