Heron dinghy bits.

Post your requirements here
davidh

Re: Heron dinghy bits.

Post by davidh »

Steve,

I've posted this on the main site as I'm sure one of the clever clogs will know the answers.

The spars that I have in my possession are...............

a circular section,, 50mm and 3270mm long, with a tenon on one end.

A gaff, 2300mm long, much bashed about.

are there Mirror or heron? Pass! (a sniff of an empty key lime pie plate for the correct answer)

photos to follow

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Mirror dimensions:
Mast 3296mm x50mm
Gaff 2809mm
Rupert
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Heron mast 3239 - 3264
Heron gaff 3160 - 3239
Darvillg

Post by Darvillg »

Hi your probably sorted now but i have a set of Heron spars in fair cond if interested give me a ring 07775 664104
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Haven't Herons' had bermudian rigs for some time now?
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

It took some hunting around but you're right - as with the Mirror the heron now offers a bermudan rig option. If you scout about a bit with the search tool you'll find quite a bit on the Heron on this site, not least because the NMM at Falmouth have heron Number 1 on display now.

The subject of the Heron is one that I've been looking at long and hard of late. When I kicked off the 'Top Ten UK designs' feature back in the early summer, I had a mail from someone in the Heron Class extolling the virtues of the boat and its significance to UK dinghy sailing. In the interests of fairness to all, I did some research into the rationale behind the boat ( a car toppable GP14 is the best short answer) but found that using those criteria, you could make good cases for the Gull, Mermaid, Otter.....
(if you want to find out if the Heron makes it onto the list or not, buy the mag, that or see me at the dinghy show and bend my ear there)

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

The Heron class have allowed a Bermudan rig for a long while, must be a good 10 years plus. I agree with what David says. It is an interesting quandary when assessing classes. The Heron is indeed a baby GP14 and very nice to sail. It is interesting in that they followed the same path as the GP in that the jib became a Genoa and the spinnaker was eventually allowed.

I find the NNMC claim interesting as I don't think the class have every been able to definitely decide which was Heron No1. When the class started building two or three clubs all began boats at the same time. They all started at No1. Therefore there were probably at least 3 boats which could be Heron No!. I seem to remember that the decision as to who kept what was rather arbitrary.
D