Gunwhale repair to N12 Crusader '88 - sycammore needed

Post your requirements here
keanoo

Gunwhale repair to N12 Crusader '88 - sycammore needed

Post by keanoo »

Have just fully stripped out by N12 and found some rot in the edge of gunwhale and need a piece approx 2 foot long or so - will need to bend or shape it to fit - anyone have any or know where to source such an item. Boat is a Ledger built 12 from 1990 (no not CVDRA able).

Note Rupert has taken a look (lives in same village) and can help to repair but has no suitable material.

Thanks,

Kean
chris

Re: Gunwhale repair to N12 Crusader '88 - sycammore needed

Post by chris »

I have some pieces of sycamore. If you tell me the exact cross section I'll cut you piece.
I'll be at Clewedog, will you?
keanoo

Post by keanoo »

I won't be at Clewdwog - and secondly I'm not sure how to measure / specify the cross section!! Its also needs to be curved to fit. When Rupert looked at it he thought we may have to shape something to fit as bending on would (no pun intended) be difficult.

I'm no expert as you can see - just like sailing the boat - any ideas - appreciate the help.

Kean
chris

Post by chris »

arough idea of width and height then. My timber is rough sawn through and through so an approximate size would help.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've been giving this some thought, and I think it should be possible to soak a piece of wood, bend it round a former and let it dry, and then put it in place, so minimizing the amount of shaping needed. In which case, about 2' long by 1" x 1/2" would do it. If someone with more experience of using sycamore knows that this approach wouldn't work, then the piece would need to be wide enough to have a piece of gunwale cut out of it, so Kean will need to measure the amount of curve involved.
The problem is that because it is the unsupported lover bit of gunwale, it can't be forced into place, as there is nowhere for clamps or screws.
Rupert
keanoo

Post by keanoo »

yes - but my wife may have something to say about the 'unsupported lover' :shock:
chris

Post by chris »

If you have an old iron (or borrow the iron from the unsupported lover when she's not looking) try this.
soak the wood for a while then wrap a wet cloth around it. With the iron on the hottest setting steam it for five minutes or so. then bend it to shape holding in the curve with a ratchet strap. 1/2 inch sycamore should be fairly easy.
two things to remember about steam bending:
one. you must compress the fibres on the inside of the curve rather than stretching the outside fibres.
Two. don't let it cool before bending. If memory serves the fibres are no longer pliable and able to slide below about 113 degrees.

green timber - and sycamore works well, will just bend to the shape you want. all you then need to do is season it. Small pieces take a few minutes in a microwave! again don't tell 'er indoors.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

W and V are even a long way apart on the keyboard...oh, well, typing never was my strong point.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Freud would have something to say on that Rupert!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Was he a bad typist, too?
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Will you be at Roadford? I can bring a pice of sycamore.
chris
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

If you have a wallpaper stripper and a plastic tube to put it in then you can steam it before bending. Would definitely leave the unsupported lover well alone - it will only lead to trouble!!
fatboyfinn

Post by fatboyfinn »

Has nobody heard of laminating 'stead of all this boiling and brute strength.

Andy
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

W is of course, VV (German, double-Vee) and so, obviously, Rupert needs two loVVers!

;-)
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Andy - it is a very small bit of wood, so should bend ok, but it is a case of it having to bend in mid air, as it were. The piece needs to match what is there already for Kean
John - collecting boats takes time and energy enough...
Rupert