Mast for Pegasus wanted

Post your requirements here
hayes

Mast for Pegasus wanted

Post by hayes »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a spare, pegasus, fireball, 505, albacore or GP14 mast.

My brother needs a replacement mast for his Pegasus following an incident last weekend. He managed to bend and put a twist in his old Proctor D mast during a capsize.

Many thanks

Andy Hayes
Keeper of Pegasus records
Pegasus 1
Pegasus 81
Merlin 3474
Gibsea 282
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Mast for Pegasus wanted

Post by Ed »

Hi Andy,

I think that I have a Fireball mast somewhere, might not be great though. It came from a reck at Roadford a while back.

I also thought there was a problem with using 'old' Fireball masts due to them having some weight or something added to them to keep them within an old class restriction - now long gone...?

Am I talking fire-ballocks....or does this make sense to anyone? What do you think Stu?

Any way it is there for the price of a beer

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world!! Archimedes. It is amazing how you can get the bends and twists out of metal masts. My Firefly Selden mast came to me with a goodly bend in it courtesy of Glasgow University who had got the insurance money. I have a convenient telegraph pole close to a wall opposite the house and by levering away for a couple of hours it is now perfectly straight and sails well. One of my better freebies!! Well worth a go if you are going to scrap it anyway. You might also try to get it on insurance I suppose.
hayes

Post by hayes »

Thanks guys, I'll pass on the info.

Cheers

Andy
Keeper of Pegasus records
Pegasus 1
Pegasus 81
Merlin 3474
Gibsea 282
roger

Post by roger »

Garry R wrote:Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world!! Archimedes. It is amazing how you can get the bends and twists out of metal masts. My Firefly Selden mast came to me with a goodly bend in it courtesy of Glasgow University who had got the insurance money. I have a convenient telegraph pole close to a wall opposite the house and by levering away for a couple of hours it is now perfectly straight and sails well. One of my better freebies!! Well worth a go if you are going to scrap it anyway. You might also try to get it on insurance I suppose.
A couple of years ago at a very windy (35 knots) Lymington a 5o turtled and bent her mast by bouncing it along the bottom in the heavy swell. Now it happened that first prize for the event was a new superspars mast. The bent mast was strapped to the fence overnight and sailed with the next day in again very rough conditions 30+ knots and they managed to nurse it through to the end of the event and won the new mast.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353