Does anyone have a spare GP14 mast?

Post your requirements here
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

I had a rather unfortunate accident in January with my old wooden mast and have been trying to find a second hand aluminium one to replace it withand not yet suceeded. Does anyone have one I can buy?
I'm also contemplating making a new wooden mast over the summer as I was rather fond of the old one and have most of the original bronze and tuffnol bits to go with it. Does anyone have any advice, especially on obtaining 23' lengths of knot free timber?
Also whilst I'm on the advice thingy does anybody have any advice on how to rid my boat of it's slight porous nature?
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

"A boat is a large hole in the water into which you pour money"
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

if you cannot obtain clear lengths of timber for your mast you can splice pieces together. Use a 15 to one scarf joint. Make up a box frame similar to a mitreing frame, use a good quality croscut saw.
then saw across the pieces at the required angle. Remove the drops then close the two ends together and resaw through the joint until the angles are perfect with one another. Then plane the ends and you are ready to glue. in this manner you can make up a servicable mast from shorter lengths of timber.
chris

Post by chris »

Details of my homemade wooden mast are on http://www.barlowharps.demon.co.uk/mast/mast

re porous boat.
I haven't tried it but a boat builder reccommended G4 which is used to seal concrete ponds. He swears by it for boats. Do a web search for firms that supply pond equipment.

There is a spare gp14 mast at Shearwater (wiltshire) phone colin on 01373 465520
roger

Post by roger »

Jon
I have a spare ali gp mast you can have. I think most of the rigging is still around. There is also a stripped ali mast at Shearwater which you can have for a donation. Not sure where you are but I am in Frome just south of Bath. You are welcome to it I will just have to find something else to hang my wetsuit on.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

I'm currently in Portsmouth, so anywhere vaguely Southish shouldn't be a particularly big problem. I have a large bag full of rigging which should do, though I would think it might depend on whether the mast has spreaders. I'll phone about the mast at Shearwater. It'll be nice to get the old girl sailing again (that is in the brief but significant period before I decide to do something (last year it was doing a better bodge on the crack in the centerboard case, which took 4 weeks, and would have been more efficiant if I'd just replaced it)).
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

Hello again.
RE mast. Colin phoned me back the other evening, he'd been on holiday (which I kind of presumed)and he has no objection to me having the mast it's now just a matter of getting it and the boat togther at some stage. I'm now back "home home" in Exmouth, Devon. I might try to make it to Roadford possibly with the boat so that might be a solution or I pick it up going Eastwards to Portsmouth.
I'm nearly there with the rest of it. I have got my self some sails (the main was cut about half way through the series of events that lead to the breakage)which as my boat would look silly with new sails are late 60's/early 70's I think (therefore about 5 years newer than my old main). It's a more modern cut than my old main, and having got passed the problem that the rope along the bottom of the sail was exactly the size (the old one was a lot smaller) of the slot in the boom before it had over 40 years of varnish accidentaly dropped down it (creative sanding), I'm now wondering, as it has a pulley on the sail, how best to rig the cunningham given the contents of my bumper box of boat bits. All I have left to other than that is cut some holes in the boat, do the varnishing (as ever), question the ingress of water, buy a new extra large triangular buoyany bag, touch up the paintwork AND GO SAILING. Oh, I missed wash the sails. Aardvarks never hurt anybody!
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

roger

Post by roger »

Hi John,
There is a gp14 on e bay which sounds like a shed but the mast is wood. May be worth a bid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

With a name like Jessie I don't think there will be a lot of competition from buyers in the Glasgow area!!!