parts for moth sailing dinghy

Post your requirements here
cathy20

parts for moth sailing dinghy

Post by cathy20 »

ihave a the hull of a international moth sailing dinghy which is about 25 years old that ihave refurbished,ineed a mast ,boom a centre board and a rudder ido have a sail the number on the sail is ke:3660.Ihave been trying to find these second hand parts, the british moth sailing assosiation gave me the link to your website if any one can help i would be very grateful james
JimC

Re: parts for moth sailing dinghy

Post by JimC »

cathy20 wrote:ihave a the hull of a international moth sailing dinghy which is about 25 years old that ihave refurbished,ineed a mast ,boom a centre board and a rudder ido have a sail the number on the sail is ke:3660.Ihave been trying to find these second hand parts, the british moth sailing assosiation gave me the link to your website if any one can help i would be very grateful james
You should be able to make a board and a rudder fairly readily, and it will be difficult to find a second hand ones to fit the boat as hey tended to be all different. However you could try the International Moth mailing list on Yahoo groups. Mast is trickier, but again that's probably the best bet...
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

Interested to read about your Moth Restoration project.

A key question to start with is do you know what design it is?

Is it a British Moth, a Europa (now Europe) or an International Moth?

British Moths and Europe Moths are one-designs and you can look at a modern boat and work out what you need.

If it is an International Moth, then it will be much more interesting (if you enjoy researching dinghy designs and details).

A photo will help define what design and era of the boat.

I raced International Moths in the early 70's. We learnt how to build all the bits on the boats ourselves, we built the ply hulls, put the masts together, made the foils, it was relatively low tech stuff.

Take a look at the IMCA UK website, they have an excellent archive section with the Yearbooks going back to the 1960s. http://www.int-moth.org.uk/NewPages/Archive2.htm.
These will show you how the rigs were set up. The sail and mast measurement rules are still much the same.

The sail number is K3660, does this match the number on the hull? We often bought second hand sails or rigs as the boats got older. The mast is probably missing as they were pretty fragile and most probably got broken.

The popular masts in that era were Needlespar or Sparlight DQ2. There were also some Proctor C sections used. Proctor is now Selden masts and Needlespar are still trading. The modern Selden 2420 might work, but beware the Moth mast is fragile unless set up well. Look at the archive.

The masts were supported using shrouds and a Tee shaped spreader and prodder fitting fixed to the front of the mast, the class still uses this fitting albeit in carbon tube. The mast rotated and the boom was fitted with a 20mm x 3mm x 200mm strip of aluminium each side of the mast, this was bolted through the mast. There is a Skol 3 Moth for sale on e-bay and your can see this in the photos.

You might do better to look for a later rig and use this. A nice lightweight carbon mast will help stability.

The booms were usually 45 or 50mm dia aluminium tube, you could make one from a broken Laser topmast. This will work with a loose footed sail.

Foils, you will have to make your own. Look at the dimensions of the daggerboard box and make one to fit. Use marine ply for a simple cheap foil and plane it to shape. Or laminate one using modern exotic glues, carbon and foams. Bloodaxe Boats started out making Moths, look at their website for info.

Rudders, we made stocks using ply, or simply a fixed blade with an aluminium tube tiller glassed on top. Skols used the rondar stock.

Hope this helps, good luck.
roger

Post by roger »

Please keep uus informed of your progress with pics if possible and come and join us when she is finished.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
cathy20

Post by cathy20 »

thank you for your reply i have learn a bit more about the set up,if unable to get new mast would it be possible to make a mast out of aluminium, I will attach some photos james
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

James,

I have just bought a 1974 Skol 3, complete with Needlespar mast. I will check the dimensions.

It will help to know what design you have, look at the UK Moth Class website archive to work out what you have. The designs from 1974 were very different to those in 1984.

What are the key dimensions: mast step to forestay and chain plates? Are the chain plates on the wing tube or is it mounted on the hull? What is the hull width and section?

You can build a mast from aluminium tube, this is basically how the Needlespar is put together with circular tube, a separate tapered topsection (glued in place), some more tube sleeved in internally to stiffen the mast lower down and the luff track riveted in place. It is all low tech and simple engineering.

If you are going to try and build your own mast, look at the SuperSpars website for details on section size, fittings etc.

This project sounds as if it is about to get expensive...are you sure all the basics are OK? For example is the hull sound and no leaks?
cathy20

Post by cathy20 »

thank you for your reply,there are some small plates mounted on the side of the hull oposite the mast step wich look like stays ,the measurement from the step to the plate is 24 ins ,the width of the hull at widest point is 50 ins .i am anovice so not sure if these are the measurements you require,ihave tried to upload pictures but file is to big ,could post to you if you wish iappreciate your help
Jools

Post by Jools »

Hi

I have a scow Moth 3134 (1970) and was lucky to get a skiff 3140 from Ivan Coryn in the spring. It seemed a good idea at the time, but if I'd been luckier, I'd have failed in this attempt at ownership, the boat needed some challenging patching where the bottom was rotted out.

Still it's done and I can swap the rig from my scow to the skiff hull. So I have a Needlespar mast and Proctor boom at least available for sale, maybe the other bits you need are also possible from my assembled foil blanks and moth bits.

If you are interested send me some contact details to jupiter14@tesco.net and we can figure out if the bits are any good to you.

I'm also open to any interest in the skiff hull which I do not plan to keep. The old problem of too many boats and no time to use them.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Just found this thread - cathy20, if the hull of the Int. Moth matches the sail, e.g. it has the number 3660 carved into the hull somewhere near the port side of the transom, then it is a Magnum 3 whose first owner was Richard Hargreaves and which came 2nd in the 1977 Worlds at Hayling. Does it have flared-out topsides like this:
http://messingaboutinboats.files.wordpr ... =604&h=453

Did you get a rig and whatever else was needed?