wood albacore wanted

Post your requirements here
sam mason

wood albacore wanted

Post by sam mason »

Anyone out there in wood boat land know the whereabouts of a wood Albacore hull ? I only want the hull, which should be intrinsically sound decks etc not an issue, although I will take a complete boat if needs be. Preferably not a million miles from Lincoln.
I seem to have exhausted the local supply!!!!!
Michael Brigg

Re: wood albacore wanted

Post by Michael Brigg »

sam mason wrote: I seem to have exhausted the local supply!!!!!
Sounds very ominous, Lincoln being as it is, "The Devil's County."

What on earth are you doing with them all??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Take out the Centrboard case fit a small inboard (Lawnmower engine is good.) a nice confy seat by the engine a good little launch a bit noisy maybe but for instance exactly that was the Ranelagh Sailing Club main rescue boat launch for 20 years or more.
Simples.
chris

Post by chris »

There's the remains of one in a field near Frome (somerset)and the other parts of it in a barn on Dorset! I did look at it a year ago and it certainly "needs varnishing" quote/unquote (once you have done plenty of woodwork first of course).

Are you after a project or a ready to sail boat? I am thinking of selling mine which is ready to go. Hardly used three year old sails McNamara (sp?) good cover, serviceable but clumsey trailor (new tyres) and trolly, all in very good condition and has won the cvrda concours a couple of times for being eye catching. pm me if you would like more details. built 1963 I think.
Chris
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

To take the points in order:- I have "done" 11 Albacores in the past 8 years and seen 4 more bonfired. There are lots of plastic ones about but very few viable wood ones so I need to spread out of the county. Places like Grimsby and Covenham are now devoid of wood boats worth a go.

A lawnmower enging is totally inadequate if you wish to achieve a worthwhile performance a much better alternative is the Indian made Royal Enfield 500c bike motor. The main problem here is with the kick start which goes straigth through the floor if vigourously applied.

I am looking for a quick project to be ready for the new year. I sailed a composite boat in the Grimsby winter series in the past winter and hated it. Very Very cold on frosty mornings give me a bit of wood every time. I have a rig and bits to cobble dogs with and enough big off cuts for tanks hence just the hull. Dorset is plenty far enough. I am afterall bone idle.
Sam
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Hard to imaging anyone who has 'done' 11 albis as lazy.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

the fishing has been rubish since the EU cleaned all the rivers up and I have nothing else to do!!!
chris

Post by chris »

I had considered a small steam plant for my albacore hull at one time. But now now that's on the back burner so to speak. But a steam launch is definatly a retirement project.
Pat

Post by Pat »

There's the remains of one in a field near Frome (somerset)and the other parts of it in a barn on Dorset!
The centreboard case and bits are now in Wiltshire - the farmer wanted the barn back.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Pat wrote:
There's the remains of one in a field near Frome (somerset)and the other parts of it in a barn on Dorset!
The centreboard case and bits are now in Wiltshire - the farmer wanted the barn back.
Yes Im a bit worried about that have we lost our cheap storage? Do I need to lean on him in an official sort of way to get our barn back? :D :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Does the commodore have that sort of power?

Or will you threaten him with a farm inspection?!
Rupert
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

This is all very refreshing and will probably prevent me loosing sleep re the barn in Somerset. Its good to know that the commodere can lean on people. Perhaps we should all sign up to facebook and go to "Farmville" Where barns dont seem to be an issue or maybe I could have a virtual Albacore ( the last one wasn't far off!!!) In the mean time could we pop back to reality. Someone must know where a suitable boat lays unwanted and unloved just waiting for a good home.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There is a boat here in Gosport that I see as I drive by. It looks to be in reasonable order, and does have all its bits but is sitting out on the drive come rain and snow with no cover on it. I wonder what the owner would say if I knocked on his door and asked if he was thinking of selling. If that Happens I'll get a picture off to you.

I was just a bit worried with such a voracious appetite for Albacores you might be a Sailor's Sweeney Todd but with 11 restorations to your name thats more like a Maritime Mother Theresa!
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

I still reckon Roger would have declared that those turkeys had bird flu to get the barn cleared for boats if it hadn't been Christmas :D

The bits are a major obstacle in our garage so a home for them would be good.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Is this an East Anglian "One that got away" or perhaps one of your previous?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Albacore-Sailing- ... 2c543e3f6e

or maybe it looks a bit too good for the fate you might have in store!!!

Alan.