mast step for international moth

Post your requirements here
cathy20

mast step for international moth

Post by cathy20 »

hi,thanks for your help reguarding my moth sailing dinghy,i have made the centre board and have started to rigg up mast sail etc ,i have another question if anyone can help me ,it has the original mast step and a aluminium mast but no fitting for it. measurements for mast step 22mm wide 25mm depth - mast 45mm insde measurement .
If anyone can tell me what fitting i need or if they have something that will fit it i would be gratefull
i would send pictures but thee file is to big
jpa_wfsc

Re: mast step for international moth

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rotating Mast?

Ours has a needlespar mast rotating on a top-hat shaped fitting which is screwed to the deck using four woodscrews. Does that describe what you are looking for? I can get you a photo next weekend if you need.
cathy20

Post by cathy20 »

jpa_wfsc wrote:Rotating Mast?

Ours has a needlespar mast rotating on a top-hat shaped fitting which is screwed to the deck using four woodscrews. Does that describe what you are looking for? I can get you a photo next weekend if you need.
yes that does sound the same as mine exept ihave not got a needlespar mast not sure how to fit the mast onto step ,the mast is aluminium 45mm in diameter
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have a top hat style one from an old Firefly - anyone know if it was any use?
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The only problen apart frrom the old one of size is your fitting will be brass I expect the Needlespar will be alloy or stainless and nair the twain should meet!
Simples.
JimC

Post by JimC »

cathy20 wrote:hi,thanks for your help reguarding my moth sailing dinghy,i have made the centre board and have started to rigg up mast sail etc ,i have another question if anyone can help me ,it has the original mast step and a aluminium mast but no fitting for it. measurements for mast step 22mm wide 25mm depth - mast 45mm insde measurement .
If anyone can tell me what fitting i need or if they have something that will fit it i would be gratefull
i would send pictures but thee file is to big
I may have something somwhere, scrapped an overrotating 70s needlepsar a few years ago and the fittings ought to be in one box or garage or another, but if not photo at least diagram would be help, because I don't want to go crwaling round garages for the wrong bit... When I needed to replace one a few years ago I got one turned up by a mate at british Aerospace...
Jools

Post by Jools »

Hi I changed the foot of my spare Needlespar. I have this to fit a 45mm internal tube. Yours if it solves the problem.
Mast Foot.jpg
(194 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

This the mast step detail on my Skol Mk3,

This fits into the base of a Needlespar mast.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Moth Mast Step.jpg
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

Looking again at your post, are you looking for the deck fitting (deck step) or the fitting at the bottom of the mast (mast heel). I may have a spare mast heel, I have bits of a broken Needlespar at the bottom of the garden.

A photo would help to sort this out.