Frensham Frolics

Post your requirements here
roger

Post by roger »

But she did look fantastic on the water Chris.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

I'll keep out of this one, maybe Ed will put his thoughts down.
Read http://www.cvrda.org/boats/cvrda_handic ... ndicap.htm
for details of the handicaps used at Frensham.
roger

Post by roger »

It was said very much with my tongue in my cheek Chris. If the wind gets up we will come into our own. Got ot get my own back after all those rude remarks about the Hornet.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Not sure how much I can add about the py numbers for cotton sails argument.

Both Rupert and I have written tons.

I think that we both feel that presently the handicaps could be raised for cotton sails at least another notch across the board.

My benchmark has always been:

If you really wanted to 'win'.....would you choose cotton or dacron....as long as the answer is an overwhelming 'dacron' the PY no is not yet right. The PY should allow you to have as good a chance of winning with either cotton or dacron sails.

Who knows....maybe the handicap committee will look at this again at Roadford this year. Rupert is in the committee boat this year and will be in a perfect position to really give this some close attention.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Did cotton do well or badly at Frensham? I've not seen any results yet...
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

yes I did quite well (equal first over all in fact second on count back) But I don't think I came first in more than one race if that, can't remember the details)
Having said that it was probably ideal conditions for Iska. A gentle wind, too much more breeze I might have been watching from the shore. But I also felt the old girl was going as well as we've sailed her so far. Don't forget the crew has no jib cleats and the centre board is a two handed job and to bail at the same time requires at least four hands in one crew. Some new fangled gadgets do make life easier (and therefore faster).

I know the cotton handicap seemed to raise a few eyebrows. It was a shame Steve's firefly didn't join in more than the one race to see how he faired with his cotton sails.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Well done! Cotton handicap (which goes along with all the other old fashioned bits) seems to be doing its job, then! If you'd run away with every race, then maybe it would have been too generous, but it sounds like it was all very close. We will have to see how you go in conditions nearer the top end in which you venture out, and how other cotton sailed boats do. As Ed said, once we get people thinking about re fitting with cotton sails, then maybe we have it right. But we don't want to put off the majority with old dacron sails either, mind!
Roadford will be a great chance to watch and learn, so long as it doesn't blow too hard!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Oh dear I have opened a can of worms. Iska looked great on the water and was moving well. Chris and Lois are a good team to beat in any sails/boat. My comment was only meant to stir Chris up after all the rude remarks I get from him. He deserves his results and the concourse result. The wind was not ideal for us but we had a great day out.
I dont want a friendly dig at Chris to sound like sour grapes. As I have said before on this forum if I wanted serious/shouting type racing I would get a plastic boat and save myself all the hassle of varnishing etc.
Looking forward to Cllywedog (if thats how you spell it.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

Don't worry , Roger, just get some cotton sails!!!!!!!!
PS You have obviously stirred up a hornet's nest as they say. Groan, Groan.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I belive you pronounce Clywedog by starting with a sort of breaking mast sound followed by something that sounds suspiciously like swearing. As an aside Chris - you never told me that I would need an octopus as a crew - and what's this baling nonsense?
chris

Post by chris »

You'll find out Garry !
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Roger, I assumed you were taking the p*** - I was just checking that it was as you made it sound - Chris, Lois and cotton sailed Iska going well! Sad to have missed it, we have had too much wind for it to happen the last events I've been to.
In the spirit of cvrda I've just been rigging a nice kevlar mainsheet strop system to Tonka ToY. Going to have to spend some money on a rachet block, though, now I've removed a purchase!
Rupert