Anyone with a Harrier+ available

Post your requirements here
tourer82

Anyone with a Harrier+ available

Post by tourer82 »

Hi All,

I'm new here and have had a quick look through the for sale threads but not found anything helpful. I found a badly-mauled Harrier for sale earlier this year and really like the concept of the boat. Further research has led me to the view that I would enjoy the Harrier+ more. (I expect that isn't really in keeping with the CVRDA approach but I expect that the extra power from the Phantom rig is something that I would need.)

If there is anyone out there with a boat for sale I would love to hear from them.

All the best,

Guy Turnbull
Nessa

Re: Anyone with a Harrier+ available

Post by Nessa »

Do you still have the hull? I have an old needlespar mast for a phantom, and I might be able to spare a boom. Unfortunately I have just parted with my spare sails. Where are you?

There is a harrier here at Hunts with the original rig. I have been tempted by one in the past myself.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
GAv

Post by GAv »

There were a couple on Apollo Duck with Phantom Tin rigs last year and having thought I had secured one (went to the range for a new lightboard and straps)only on return to be informed it had been sold, so no trip to Norfolk for that one, such is life.
I was offered a standard rig Harrier. As a registered full time carer apart from anything else i decided agin that on basis of it being down in Hampshire.
A Phantom owning friend was dissapointed I hadnt secured the one I thought had my name on, as like me he is a little on the large size and was intrigued in case one might suit him better.
I believe they are not dissimilar to some Merlin Rockets but seem rather like Streakers, to be a bit thin on the ground. When I had one of those lovely Holt designed single handers(well two including the one I was also doing up) they were pleantifull, but still obviously more so than Harriers.
Anyway finally a chap who had bought a boat off me was able to get down from Norfolk to collect her, so thats one less and must resolute for 2011 not to be impulsive, thus consolodate stuff I already have as ongoing projects-boat and bike wise.
A Very Happy New Year to all.. good boating tooImage
JimC

Post by JimC »

GAv wrote:I believe they are not dissimilar to some Merlin Rockets but seem rather like Streakers, to be a bit thin on the ground.
I suspect they didn't get into double figures, whereas the Streaker latest sailnumber has to be approaching 1750... Plenty of pasts posts in my name with my opinion on the class having owned one.
tourer82

Post by tourer82 »

Nessa, I didn't buy the hull that I found but appreciate your offer. The bloke who had it had put in home made bouyancy tanks, a wooden framework to step a Firefly swivelling mast, trapeze wires and a spinnaker chute coming through the foredeck!! I decided that there was just too much remedial work to do.

Jim C, the research I did when I found the boat was that they got into the mid 70s but there will obviously have been some loss from that number so I appreciate that, although they are not quite in the same class as hen's teeth they aren't far behind.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim,

I think you'd be surpried just how many Harriers were sold - as far as I know the last sail number issued was in the region of the 80s....

For those who never had the chance to sail one, the Harrier was a lot more boat than the Streaker, though one would have to say that the Holt lightweight singlehander was a later amd more sophisticated boat. The problems with the Harrier are well documented, overweight and under powered probably say it all

Have you seen the new look Harrier, the Hadron? Some outlines of this are on the Bearfacemedia website!

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

JimC wrote:I suspect they didn't get into double figures
Ooops, I meant treble figures. Having owned number 57 briefly I was aware they got into double figures!
GAv

Post by GAv »

Yep I didnt mean any comparison, numbers wise, but maybe was relieved to find out the Harrier was a heavy beasty, as like Jack Holt I was finding Solos I owned, a drag to get out of the water & up the ramp, so should at least avoid weighty single handers.
ImageI think the Streaker is very much boat, considering the high pleasure factor that was always on offer and to my mind probably the most elegant small boat design in that genre, and one I much prefer to ubiquitous Lasers/BytesImagewhich I never emulated in either my Solos-apart from the pleasure of doing one of em up. Albeit this my first was found in timewarp condition, but sans mast which had been left outside(Stev Ede asked me if I'd swap the wooden boom for an alloy one, and that went onto NO2 Solo, the oldest survivor,in time for the 2006 Alley Pally dinghy show, a little after he sailed it @ Ardleigh in an open-
sadly I saw UMn on EBay last year in a parlous neglected state but there u go. Imagemy second one got written off in late 2009, hence my looking for another single hander.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Gav

I hope I did not give the impression that I was 'dissing' the Streaker - for this is a boat that I rate very highly. I featured the Streaker a while back in one of the Dinghy Sailing Mag series, during my research for this article I came to the conclusion that in many ways the Streaker is often overlooked - a shame as Holt got it right with the boat and the more recent 'upgrades' have made for an attractive, well sorted lightweight singlehander. It is amazing just how many boats there are in this 'small to mid' range field, for despite the dominance of the Laser, the Streaker, Supernova, Solution, Byte, Comet, Lightning, OK, British Moth and Solo all seem to occupy their own niches and still seem to propser!

When I made the comment that the Harrier was a 'lot more boat' I really did mean just that! Desisgner Keith callaghan had cleverly adapted one of his current Merlin Rocket designs to get the hull shape, so with the flared out hull there really does seem to be a lot more of the boat when you're sat in it! The Harrier has always been dear to me though - as a Merlin Rocket sailor of old, it was a pleasing shape to the eye, so it was little suprise when the Harrier became the second singlehander I featured in the Lost Classes series. The spiritual home for the Class was the North of England, with Elton featuring strongly in the history of the class. However, that history also includes a series of problems with the transom, some problems with the grp mouldings on the hull (weight!!) and a rig that was anything but sorted. Indeed, when the subject of the Harrier came up recently, there was a lot of discussion about adding spreaders and lowers - changes that I think would help make the boat work. Personally, I'm not 100% convinced about the path that was taken with the Harrier +; in Grimsby Docks, where the 'new' class was developed, the big rig might be a way forward but I think in open water and breeze it could become as much a hinderance and a help.

It would be great to see a Harrier competing in the CVRDA events though.....more power to the 'Lost Classes' wing!

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

When we went to Britol Avon last year, I saw my old harrier looking rather sad and neglected. It may be worth an enquiry.

I sold it with the original rig and an old Phantom rig.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim, Nigel and the an at Porchester who sold his boat recently - if any of you have pictures of your Harrier - or any other Harrier/Harrier+, out sailing, on shore, in the workshop or whatever, please let me know and if you're happy to copy and send them over then I'll start to create a Harrier page.

I'm now getting to the point that I'm getting material coming in to me all the time, as witnessed by the picture of Shrike (the 10 SqM Canoe) plus a load more - the latest is a wonderful series of pictures of the Int 14 Thunderbolt. This was the Austin Farrar 'development' that featured the flared out topsides..... and provides the proof that I needed that after the boat had been banned by the 14s, John Westell asked if he could 'use' the feature on the new dinghy he was developing. The result of course became the 505 and the rest, as thay say, is history!

D
David H
GAv

Post by GAv »

David I did'nt begin to imagine you were dissing Streakers, just saying the Harrier was a bigger boat which was why I thought one might suit.

Mention of Grimsby docks brought back memories, as to when I attended Grimsby Nautical/Navigation college. Some of us took every leisure time opertunity to sail the training school GP14s,throughout the year. Doubtfully the Harrier was thereabouts? circa 1969/70.

Prior to this a little experience was garnered on the Broads in a school built Wayfairer, as to said Marque, I was reaquinted with same 35 years later doing levels 1&2 RYA courses. Our club now utilise a brace of Wayfairers to do in house training having pensioned off the previous GP14s and Enterprise we had. We have 3 Teras for youngsters to sart racing in too.
Last edited by GAv on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Harrier at Hunts is number 11, and is still in original condition, so if you want photos David, let me know.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Yes please Nessa! I've just had a lovely shot come in from Nigel so once I've got a 'core' of material I'll start posting it up.

Happy New Year to you and Nikki - if all goes to plan will see you next weekend at the BM

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There was a Harrier at Whitefriars a while ago, which I had a go in. The tendency for water to come in over the foredeck/sidedeck if heeled was a little alarming, but then I was small (fatter now!) and the wind was gusty. Seems to me that maybe the RS300 is a boat that has taken the ideas a step or 2 further.
Rupert