Europa Moth, wooden mast wanted

Post your requirements here
LASERTOURIST

Re: Europa Moth, wooden mast wanted

Post by LASERTOURIST »

http://www.forumvoile.com/forum/viewtop ... a&start=10

Some old Europes get a new life from cristalli workshop , successor of aloîs roland...

maybe worth putting a phone call to Cristalli in belgium (guys say he stills manufacture sidetanks as spares for people wanting to restore worthy wooden europes
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks for the Links........very interesting. I suspect that wooden masts secondhand/affordable will be in short supply if they're collectable, but certainly worth a try.
Does anyone know whether the wooden masts for the "Mark" class were sourced from another design? I bought a Mark a few years ago, but the hull was stolen (off a broken down trailer on the way home from purchasing it while I went for tools .... a lesson learned there!!) and I gave the rig to a friend......I haven't checked to see if it is still around yet, but it maybe.....a long shot, but you never know.
Sami.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

http://www.wanaboat.fr/annonces/6216-ma ... e-occasion

this link is for a Europe wooden mast and boom for 100€...but it's july 2010 so might well be sold as of now....and it is in Annemasse (French Swiss border...) so a bit far from southampton and a one piece mst is a nightmare to ship (won't fit in a train or plane) ...
but ther may be miracles...
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

http://www.wanaboat.fr/annonces/6216-ma ... e-occasion

this link is for a Europe wooden mast and boom for 100€...but it's july 2010 so might well be sold as of now....and it is in Annemasse (French Swiss border...) so a bit far from southampton and a one piece mst is a nightmare to ship (won't fit in a train or plane) ...
but ther may be miracles...
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Quick skiing dash anyone?
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:Quick skiing dash anyone?
Hmm, Tempting...,

Portes du Soleil and Espace Killy just an hour or so away from Annemasse.

...but might cause a problem in Euro tunnel on the return journey.

Don't forget the French can get a bit stroppy about overhangs as well.

The Ferry companies are so desparate for business they might overlook a few extra feet if you smile at them nicely.
Michael Brigg
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Over hang rules in France are not so strict:
No overhang in front (stupid but it's the law anyway)
Rear overhang : under 1M no signalling needed, betweeen 1and 3M (quite a bit) compulsory signaling with red rag in day light and a red light + Catadioptric reflector at night (any battery bicycle light will do) ...so OK for an Europe Mast , less so for a hobie 16 mast (though i did it ....discreetely)....don't know about the extra fee on the tunnel /ferry

(once i went t Corsica with a spare hobie mast atop my car and managed to put it on trailered powerboat...the beer offered at the boat owner at the ship's pub was much cheaper than the extra fee for a 3, something M extra length
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

moving off-topic.....but that is interesting...

I am guessing that some of Michael's post is based on a received wisdom that it is hard to transport sculling boats (27ft) on a car on the continent and this is why one sculling boat builder here in the UK sometimes builds two-part sculls. Good to know that its not so much of a problem in France.

The German IC sailors regularly carry their canoes on car-top....

On the Skiing front.....I was kinda talking to a couple of mates about a dash down to see a friend near Annecy and getting in a bit of skiing, but feeling very broke at moment, so not sure if it will happen.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks everyone,still in Scotland at present, doing posts on mobile, will have a think about this one.
Sami.