Hornet sails

Post your requirements here
Demon

Hornet sails

Post by Demon »

Looking for a half decent main and jib just to get me around at the odd meeting. Dont need to be perfect, just better than what i have at the moment!

Cheers

Mark
roger

Re: Hornet sails

Post by roger »

Hi Mark,

Im afraid my sails are all pretty knackered and a bit small for your rig(my rig is much earlier than yours). Your best bet is to ask on the Hornet site. There are probably loads of second hand sails about. I do have some experimental sails which are fully battened and made by a company called Demon. They were successful in their day and the main is not bad but the jib is no good at all. You are welcome to have these but I warn you they are pink.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Demon

Post by Demon »

roger wrote:Hi Mark,

and made by a company called Demon.
Bit of a coincidence!

Hmmm, pink sails on a blue boat called Demon?

Was going to post on the Hornet forum but there is no specific place!

Could be interested Roger, pink sails cant be any worse than the condition of the sails i have at the moment!

Cheers

Mark
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Roger
Demon sails were made by Shaun Cox a friend of mine. I think I was the only person to have had a set from Shaun. He was very radical in the design of the main he made for me and it caused alot of raised eye brows when presented for measuring at the Champs at Shoreram. But measure it did. I wonder if this is my old suit, the jib was not one of Shaun's better ones he was an ex aeronautical engineer and designer. He felt that the shape in the jib was set up by rig tension and fairlead position. The jib I found impossible to set up to a decent setting so he just gave it to me ( but I continued to use a Mac). The main was a good sail but very sensitive to battern tension and these needed to be setup carefully for different conditions, normally by rolling the boat on it's side with the sails up and adjusting each battern one at a time. This was time consuming. Used these sails only for a short time and sold them on going back to Macs.
Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger

Post by roger »

Al the only time we set those sails was at Roadford on the revo. The leech on the jib was worn out and we couldnt get it to set at all. We felt the main was less worn and would have worked ok. Never really tried them properly.

Mark with the battens they are quite long so not postable but we could see if anyone could transport them via the cvrda courier system (we have moved masts from yorkshire to Cornwall ) Are you going to the Dinghy Show may be someone from Wilts could meet you with them.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Roger
The fully batterned main was very powerful when set up correctly. We did talk about camber inducers like the windsurfer sails at that time but I felt that, that was one step to far.
Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demon

Post by Demon »

Hi Roger,

Unfortunatley i will not be going to the show.
There is no rush at the moment, not exactly any events looming close!
I am still looking however with a possible find on Appollo Duck! Just waiting a second mail from the seller, but still interested in the "pink" main!

Cheers

Mark
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Alan and I will be taking a Finn up to the show on the Friday for the duration, so the 'CVRDA Courier Service' wil be available for items going either way.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Demon

Post by Demon »

Ok, where is the show?
Maybe a trip coming up Saturday??
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

This is the Dinghy Show held at Alexander Palace on the weekend of 5/6th March. Google RYA Volvo Dinghy Show for details. It is as far as a lot of us are concerned well worth a visit.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Demon

Post by Demon »

Typical!

I will be driving on the Macmillan 4x4 challenge that weekend!

http://www.mac4x4.co.uk/ Good way of raising money money if your into that sort of thing!