International 12 foot dinghy

Post your requirements here
NorfolkNick

International 12 foot dinghy

Post by NorfolkNick »

Hello,

Could anybody help me with tips on finding an old International 12 foot Dinghy, there does not seem to see many for sale in this country although there apparently used to be a few fleets here. Plenty in Holland and Italy but they seem to be rather expensive, mostly because they are still being built and are keenly raced. Would love to find an old British example to restore.
Rupert

Re: International 12 foot dinghy

Post by Rupert »

It might be worth having a quick search on the forum for previous topics concerning the International 12. There is a keen British sailor of them. As for British examples wanting restoration, I'm not sure there are any. You are right about the European prices, but I suppose it is a class that appeals to those who love craftsmanship and the look of the boat, and they, like Merlin sailors over here, are willing to pay a premium for top class workmanship.
Rupert
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Nick
It might be worth contacting Treaddur Bay Sailing Club on Anglesey. They did have a couple in need of restoration in their dinghy park. TBSC were one of the first clubs to adopt the Int12 - but unknown to them their local boatbuilder modified the design to make it a better sea-boat! They only discovered this some years later when a genuine Int12 joined the club. They subsequently renamed the original boats 'Insects'. For some time they had a fleet of Insects and a fleet of Int12s, but after a while the two fleets merged and were all referred to as Insects.

A few Int12s have turned up in the UK - so don't despair of finding one. Most were modified and given a gunter rig with a small jib. According to RYA minutes some were re-rigged and re-registered as National 12s although I've not found any trace of these.

Two Int12s are currently under construction in Falmouth, and a third boat is sailing near Falmouth.

If you like to send me an email (dinghy12 at bluewin.ch) and tell me how much you are prepared to spend I may be able to help you find one in the Netherlands. Secondhand ones really are expensive - but given the cost of new ones this is not surprising. And you are right about them being keenly raced - there will be 120 or them racing in Venice in June.

Steve
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
cweed

Post by cweed »

There is one for sale on the Bosham SC website, but its £7000!
Steve

Post by Steve »

That one is sold!
Built in 1998 (in Vietnam) and never been on the water!
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Great to hear that Int 12's are coming back into the UK, Steve, at least slowly!
Rupert
skifftim

Post by skifftim »

Hi NorfolkNick,
Ive a couple of 12's I'm selling: 3031 "Pastiche"; 3082 "After The Gold Rush"; and another club member has an older clinker example I feel sure he would part with.
Any interest?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ur.....presume those are 'nationals' rather than 'internationals'?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
skifftim

Post by skifftim »