Pegasus Spinnaker

Post your requirements here
JB9

Pegasus Spinnaker

Post by JB9 »

I need a hole free kite for 198. I think the old one had been left in the boat and mice have nested making quite a few holes. Thankfully the main and genoa are intact.

So, if anybody has a spare or can suggest what might fit from another class that would be great? GP14 would seem a bit small and flying fifteen a bit big.

Thanks
Harrier 25
505 7163
chris

Re: Pegasus Spinnaker

Post by chris »

I don't know how the sizes compare but the merlin website because a change of rules meant there were quite a few old size spinnies going.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Firball kite..

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

According to Burrett, it is 180 Sq ft (16.72 sq m). That seems really big for the size of boat.

This one seems to be about that size:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spinnaker-sma ... 3f16eaa592
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Nigel wrote:According to Burrett, it is 180 Sq ft (16.72 sq m). That seems really big for the size of boat.

This one seems to be about that size:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spinnaker-sma ... 3f16eaa592
That sail implies about a 2.5 to 3 meter pole... much to big.

The pole on 198 is not all that long: I am sure the kite and pole you have was a fireball kite, the one Uffa used on the Peggie was about the same luff and foot, but had a deep foot section below the straight line between the clews. This would give a lot more area than a modern cut spinnaker, but would greatly restrict visibility! Also, probably not as effective when reaching - and perhaps when the Peggie was designed, dinghy / trapeze / spinnaker combination was fairly new as an idea..? I suspect the early spin was intended for deep downwind sailing. The main and genoa give plenty of power reaching anyhow.
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The original spinnaker was huge - it was based on the I14 ones of the time, I think. I suspect a Fireball kite will get far more use.
Rupert
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. I think the Sonata spinnaker looked a bit big and the Fireball a bit small but I will see if I can get hold of a cheap one without holes and give it a try.

I have found an old spinnaker which was the spare for the last Pegasus I owned and it is pretty big but not when compared to a Jollyboat kite.

Thanks again
Harrier 25
505 7163
pierre

Post by pierre »

Think you'll find that an Osprey Spin will be about the right size.
17.19 sq m
Osprey 1137
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

pierre wrote:Think you'll find that an Osprey Spin will be about the right size.
17.19 sq m
The right size for what? Bricking oneself?!
Rupert
pierre

Post by pierre »

Rupert wrote:
pierre wrote:Think you'll find that an Osprey Spin will be about the right size.
17.19 sq m
The right size for what? Bricking oneself?!
Oh come now Rupert.
Just bear away and scream and swear a lot.
Works for me anyway.

The only time I have been caught out was sailing DDW,
and whilst cockily standing up whilst driving, was caught by a gust
which accelerated the boat so hard that I went over the back.
My youngest son (then 12) thought it hilarious.
Osprey 1137
roger

Post by roger »

Pierre, as the nats is local to you this year you can come and repeat the performance and be in contention for the much coveted wingnut award. :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones »

Having sailed a Sonata and Peggie, I will say that the sonata kite would be way to big!!, it is ****** big on the sonata in a good breeze. But it would be fun to see it tested, maybe mast head rigged?

Cheers
Mark
keithr

Post by keithr »

David and I used a fireball spinnaker on 198 as the original was too big, too heavy and only worked dead downwind ( also scared the bee********'s out of us!!!!!!.

Shame as it was a nice shade of pink that spinnaker.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Big kites are typical of Uffa Fox designs of the period. You should look at the full-size of a Jollyboat kite!

But, they were only ever used straight downwind....and in not too much of a blow too. They were as deep and long as they were wide....and not even set on that long a pole. They completely blanket your whole view.

If you want to use a kite to reach with......you simply can't use something that big....or more importantly that shape!

So the sensible option is to get a smaller flatter kite if you want to use it more generally off the wind.

Mind you....

I have recently been thinking on the Jollyboat, whether an old shape kite would be fun. In reality, the Jollyboat is rather thin and the sheet loadings flying the kite on a reach in a little wind, even with just a smaller FF kite are immense. On the other hand, there is enough sail area to make the boat quite fast enough on a reach anyway, especially if there are a few waves around. But on a dead run.....with all that weight and surface area, it is hard to make it really go.

So what about using a bigger and fuller kite, but restricting its use to only dead downhill?

still thinking on this....and trying to find a crew brave enough to use it anyway.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Dead downwind, you can only go as fast as the wind.... no matter how big your kite is. I bet a Fireball kite being flat and small enough to allow you to reach with it, will still be plenty big enough to sail dead downwind.

Anyhow - who would want to sail a Peggie dead downwind! Rolly Poly - quite hard work. Luff up a little and blast!!
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!