Self Bailers, Buoyancy Bags and Firefly spares

Post your requirements here
BenIOW

Self Bailers, Buoyancy Bags and Firefly spares

Post by BenIOW »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently refurbishing an old GRP firefly and am looking for a few spares.

In need of a couple of self bailers, ideally Anderson style ones but anything would be fine; the current ones let in far more water than they let out!

Also missing a rear buoyancy bag and would be interested in a front bag for the forward tank also.

The boat only cost £107 so we are working to a bit of a budget, just looking to get another boat sailable for our University fleet.

If anyone has any of the above or any other firefly spares they are looking to sell please get in touch:)

thanks, Ben
Firefly 1522
Chris B

Re: Self Bailers, Buoyancy Bags and Firefly spares

Post by Chris B »

Hi Ben

I'm looking for a set of Firefly sails to use as heavy weather sails for my International 14. If you have a number of sets with your Firefly I'll be only too pleased to buy a set off you.

Regards

Chris B
I14 378
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'll take a look through the shed at the weekend and see what I have around - might be able to do a bow bag and large Anderson bailers (though I've been meaning to use these myself, but they are maybe a bit big for the Minisail).
Rupert
BenIOW

Post by BenIOW »

Unfortunately I don't know of any spare sails at the moment Chris, will bear you in mind if I hear of any though.

That sounds great Rupert, appreciate you taking a look.
Firefly 1522
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I could do with a couple of better rear bouyancy bags too.
Last edited by GAVinT on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Having trouble finding stuff in the rubbish tip I call a shed, but I have found 2 rather sad looking tapered stern bags. They do hold air, but not for ever, but several of the tag pieces to guide the webbing straps are broken. You are welcome to them for the cost of the postage if you want to sort them and make them useable. I shall carry on looking for other bits.
Rupert
BenIOW

Post by BenIOW »

Hi Rupert,

Many thanks for your kind offer, would love to take those off your hands. Sure I'll be able to make them useable, better than the non existant bags currently on the boat either way!

Will send you a PM later.

Ben
Firefly 1522
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The tapered bags can be hard to find, but are not too hard to repair. Crewsaver in Gosport will do the service for you but its not particularly cheap. You have to cut a big hole at the leak, patch it from the inside, and then reinforce it on the outside.

Since I bought the last "new" bags from the now closed Pink's chandlery in Hillhead, Crewsaver also reassured me that if the Firefly class wanted them to make a few more of the tapered bags, they could make up a pattern, or possibly resurect the old pattern. The floor staff cant help as they dont really know about the firefly stern anatomy and sell you the straight bags.

I have a means of fixing the stern bags in under covers on a Photobucket Slide show. I find it fool proof, and it doesnt need the strap loops. Also the covers are useful for storing laminated race instructions or charts/course cards. (and spare battens.) I can let you have a pattern for the covers if you wish, but its really just fabric shaped arround the bags.

http://s225.beta.photobucket.com/user/m ... 3080796967
Michael Brigg