Merlin Rocket wanted

Post your requirements here
chopperado

Merlin Rocket wanted

Post by chopperado »

Late 70s | 80s or newer merlin rocket wanted anything considered must be cheap don't mind a little work myself and a freind fancy a bit of cheap club racing inland something quick in light stuff wound be great regards Paul tel 07960 874365
angus

Re: Merlin Rocket wanted

Post by angus »

There is a Merlin Rocket sitting at Ripon that may be available for the taking away. It would need alot of work as has been sitting under a deteriorating cover for a while. A quick look a couple of months ago did not reveal an terminal rot but I stress a quick look. Let me know if you want me to make further inquiries.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

What sort of budget are you looking at? are you willing to work on the boat? and what sort of water do you sail on?
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
chopperado

Post by chopperado »

want to sail it inland at Ardleigh wind is often light and gusty due to trees a boat that performs well in light wind and also carries weight . looking to pay up to 400 to 500 max dont mind work but must be price dependent.
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

In light winds the narrow boats would suit you fine, as they are as fast if not quicker sometimes. However I believe Ardleigh is quite open with a big sailing area so if the wind gets up you will want one of the wider designs for the hiking power, unless the club opperates vintage handicaps for club racing.

I sail at Blithfield, which is also open and big, with my smokers 3146 and in F4 or above the wider boats have a big advantage. The smokers has the width but not the off-wind speed of a newer design but in light wind or restriced waters comes into her own.
We dont opperate MROA handicaps so this can prove difficult.

Theres a winderbox on the website for £350, apparntly only needs varnishing. No pictures though. would do for 23 stone.

I bought my smokers for £450 but have had to do a reasonable amount of work to keep her going. will carry 26 stone competitively or theres an NSM 2 which would also carry weight that has been there awhile. My NSM 2 won the nationals three times and is still quick. A little bit more stable than the smokers aswell.

Theres a couple of narrow boats which may not need too much work. There was one on here not long ago that looked in good condition but needed a good home.

In your price range most boats are going to need some work, but as long as the key areas are solid its all relatively easy to so.

Edit to say:

Found this in ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merlin-Rocket ... 3f213f8d19

Could be a good call, carries weight, and looks in good condition with minimal work to do. Bit of a trek but could be worth it.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Hi yes the Club does apply Vintage handycaps.
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Ah well that makes the choice alot easier, Blithfield only opperate a difference for a boat with a Carbon or Aluminium mast, 10 points extra. Which can be a little annoying as a brand new boat with an ali rig would have the same handicap as both of mine which are 30 and 35 years old.

However its worth considering to get a 70's - 80's boat within the price range the boat is going to be similar to 3146 when I got her. The glue is of an age where it starts crystalizing and cracks. Ive redone the inwhales countless times thsi season, as each but has gone and then been epoxied.

Not an issue if you are willing to put the time in, but I would say for the first few times this season I had to do it after every event. Holds now though and is well worth the work for the rewards. They sail beautifully and look amazing.

There is also an NSM 1 on the website that has been up awhile, im guessing because of its location but looks a sound boat.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
chopperado

Post by chopperado »

Ok guys thanks for all advice have managed to get a boat. A rowsel foam sandwich composit 3252 nsm1 could do with another spinaker pole if anyone has one want to make twin pole setup
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Congratulations and welcome the fleet.
You should consider some of the meets if you can make them, both CVRDA and Merlin meetings are a joy to sail and great fun off the water.

Are you after a modern or classic pole? Posting on the MROA forum could be an idea. May find another single and convert the system. A member at our club had this and it worked just fine.

Actual twin poles are a little more difficult as finding Ali ones is rare and the carbon go as spares pretty quick.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
chrismartin3583

Post by chrismartin3583 »

32mm o/d ally tube is fine for long twins, 25mm o/d for the old six footers. Don't bother with anodising and the tube will be ridiculously cheap.

Then pop along to a merlin club, take some photos of someone's poles and copy them. The way a carbon pole is fitted out will work just as well on an ally pole. Just remember the measured length of 2300mm (Long poles) or 6 foot includes the end fittings. Some people with old boats are using 2 metre poles.

All the above advise is aimed at twins, i don't see any point in persevering with single poles.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Think I have both the poles from a Merlin twin pole setup in the workshop.

They are Ali and longish, but I think must date from the previous kite-size.

If you are interested pm me and I will dig them out and measure them up.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

chrismartin3583 wrote: Then pop along to a merlin club, take some photos of someone's poles and copy them. The way a carbon pole is fitted out will work just as well on an ally pole. Just remember the measured length of 2300mm (Long poles) or 6 foot includes the end fittings. Some people with old boats are using 2 metre poles.

All the above advise is aimed at twins, i don't see any point in persevering with single poles.
I copied how a modern system works with the Ali poles I have on Sledgehammer. Works brilliantly, better than the original wire strops along the boom and much more safer for me when helming.
Twin poles also see the best, quicker for the better sailors and easier for those of us chasing.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
chopperado

Post by chopperado »

Ok promise not too laugh total stress out this merlin I've just got and been really looking forward to racing was purchased with a newish club member who fancied racing with me and learning a bit more
He decided to take the 3 spinnakers home one looked really good. He gave them to his other half and told her to wash them and she did in the washing machine with deturgent and softner and she said they are not hard and crispy now nice and soft arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr OMG. Think I need another kite and perhaps a new crew lol
chrismartin3583

Post by chrismartin3583 »

If youre quick Jeremy Deacon has a decent old size spinny for sale - assuming thats what you want. Good old size spinnys are few and far between, you're probably better off going for a new size if you're changing the poles anyway.

To set up new length poles you need to:

1) Make up the poles
2) Move the take off point for the uphaul up the mast. All recent boats go just beneath the jib sheave, theres no reason not to copy this.
3) Fit new pole vangs - i use marlow V12 as it's easily spliceable doesn't and stretch or shrink. My dyneema ones "lost" 6 inches over a season!!
4) arrange a mechanism for pulling the pole vang on once the crew has engaged the pole.

With the long poles it is normal to leave some slack in the pole vang (The bit with the ring on attached to the sheet) that is then taken up by the helmsman after crew has put the pole on. This system is commonly referred to as the snodger and normally comes back either to the thwart or rear of the centreboard case. It needs about a 3:1 or 4:1 purchase.

With the old poles you could get away with quite a weak system but with long ones you cant! It is very important that the system works properly as there is nothing more frustrating than poles that don't go out. Look at some boats or photos, especially new plastic ones as their systems are well thought out and work. You then need to figure out how to apply it to your boat.

That bit may not be easy as the woodwork may not lend itself to the placcy boats system, high tank boats are probably easier beleive it or not as you have more travel between hog and deck. Whatever you choose to do make sure the lines run stright and don't chafe and that the cleat works properly from a number of contortions.
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

chrismartin3583 wrote:3)

4) arrange a mechanism for pulling the pole vang on once the crew has engaged the pole.

With the long poles it is normal to leave some slack in the pole vang (The bit with the ring on attached to the sheet) that is then taken up by the helmsman after crew has put the pole on. This system is commonly referred to as the snodger and normally comes back either to the thwart or rear of the centreboard case. It needs about a 3:1 or 4:1 purchase.

That bit may not be easy as the woodwork may not lend itself to the placcy boats system, high tank boats are probably easier beleive it or not as you have more travel between hog and deck. Whatever you choose to do make sure the lines run stright and don't chafe and that the cleat works properly from a number of contortions.
Could do with your help on this for Sledgehammer, the snodger only stays cleated in very light breeze and even then it seems to be pot luck.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven