Lowrider daggerboard wanted.

Post your requirements here
fleabertoo

Lowrider daggerboard wanted.

Post by fleabertoo »

I accidentally won an International Moth on EBay recently.....I've really no massive idea about it other than the previous owner thought that it was a 'Gentleman Jim' design.

Anyway, I took it out for my first sail last weekend and snapped the daggerboard when recovering from capsize.

I didn't pay much for the boat and aren't looking to use it for anything other than a laugh....so, if anyone has a solid, cheap daggerboard to suit then let me know :)
Lightning368 (409 - 'All the Gear), Laser EPS (259 - 'EPO), International Moth (GBR3936 - 'Biggles')
JimC

Re: Lowrider daggerboard wanted.

Post by JimC »

fleabertoo wrote:so, if anyone has a solid, cheap daggerboard to suit then let me know :)
All different... is the case rectangular or foil shaped, what is the foil thickness, what is the chord?
If its a foil shaped case you'll probably need to make one to fit - or repair the old one (which can be done - I've snapped a daggerboard on the first day of a championships and been sailing with it again on day 3).
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Lee,

If you've not found a solution by the 19th, bring it over to the Lightning open at Farmoor, and I'll take a look at what can be done.
Rupert
fleabertoo

Post by fleabertoo »

That's a good plan Rupert..... I actually have 3 boards for it. Two of which are cracked (One wood, one some sort of home-made plastic bodge which is the one I broke myself).
There's a second more solid looking wooden one too, but with some signs of the veneer starting to crack - I'll use that on a gentle day I think.

To be fair, my DIY skills are on a par with those of a fruitfly foetus, so I'm not actually likely to attempt to fix/repair anything :mrgreen:

Yep, I'll bring one over to Farmoor Rupert...the (more) cracked wooden one looks likely to be an original so i'll bring that.

Anyway, it won't be long before I'm so good that I barely need to consider board strength....... <ahem!> :lol:

(Is a vertical learning curve still a curve then???)
Lightning368 (409 - 'All the Gear), Laser EPS (259 - 'EPO), International Moth (GBR3936 - 'Biggles')
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I've got lots of daggerboards from moths and cherubs etc. Let us know the dimensions, I might well have soemthing to suit. Where are you based?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
fleabertoo

Post by fleabertoo »

Hi Nessa,

I'm up in Staffordshire, just outside of Lichfield.

I'll get the dimensions - and maybe a photo - of the board this evening.

...I'll also try & get some photos of the boat itself this weekend.
Like me, it's a bit low key :lol:
fleabertoo

Post by fleabertoo »

Here's the remaining, vaguely intact board (that does look as if it's ready to crack)
Length = 165cm
Front to back (Chord?) = 21cm
Thickness = 2.5cm
IMG_20130510_202907_829 (Mobile).jpg
(19.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20130510_202956_316 (Mobile).jpg
(24.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20130510_203054_439 (1) (Mobile).jpg
(22.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

that looks quite different to any of the dagger boards i have. You might do well to look for a long rudder blade, from something like a fireball or a contender?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Which I have in my garage, a very nice laminated Fireball long rudder, and as we are having to move soon, would be one less thing to think about. I have centreboards from Phantom and Solo also..
Holed Streaker and Mirror hulls are due for a burn up, so have also loads of good bits from both, masts booms rudders, daggerboards sails etc, in fact a Boatjumble may well be on the cards...
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

how bad is the streaker Gavin?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Hi Nessa about as bad as it gets.
It was a sad saga of buy in haste, repent at your leisure.
In short it had been botched and the marriage of a very overweight individual( who is now doing slimmers world to give the Minisail a sporting chance)was not a happy one and whilst I paid a fair bit for the thing it wasn't exactly a bottomless pit, no doubt someone sometime will need some parts, its just a bottomless Streaker!
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Relative came over Saturday and took Streaker, Mirror and remainder of Phantom to go on a bonfire at their farm.
I was tempted to use the Mirror as a garden feature where we are moving to, but being only a grass mower on the green finger front was OK about its finale demise.
I do have all the Streaker and Mirror bits, so maybe will do a boat jumble.

Apologies to Phil who sent a message about the Solo centreboard-for some reason I found it and a couple of messages from RonnieG (Minisail) languishing in the trash folder on Hotmail/live but nothing in the PM section on here. The program had deemed them trashable, nice of it -I did get the relevant final ones from Belgiun Ronnie, regarding the Sprint hull.

You are welcome to the board, on a pickup only basis, it may have gone with the boats for a burn up but have since seen your message.
I really do not wish to be wrapping and posting stuff. Have enough of the former to look forward to.
It came with a 1968 Solo I had, as a spare.
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Thank you for the offer but I have bought the wood, glass and resin and started to laminate one.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Not hard to make a decent foil.....go for it.

Making a decent foil to fit into a pre-fabricated slot is harder. Not a ton harder, but certainly more of a challenge.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

[quote="Ed"]Not hard to make a decent foil.....go for it.

Thank you for the encouragement, I had been putting it off but not having been able to find a board to fit my narrow case made the final decision for me. I've been offered a few boards but all have been too thick and thinning them sufficiently would have required the removal of some of the sheathing and therefore weaken the finished board and/or changing the aerofoil shape.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold