Topper

Post your requirements here
slim

Topper

Post by slim »

Bit of a long shot on here but you never know! My youngest has decided to start sailing again after a bit of a break so I am looking for an old,cheap mast for a topper,does'nt need to be beautiful,just functional and cheap!

Here's hoping. Thanks.
chris

Re: Topper

Post by chris »

If you end up having to buy a new section look at Malden Sailboats. They offer a range that are less expensive than the original make, (and for lasers) although they have to point out that to be class legal for class events parts have to be "genuine".
JimC

Post by JimC »

chris wrote:If you end up having to buy a new section look at Malden Sailboats. They offer a range that are less expensive than the original make, (and for lasers) although they have to point out that to be class legal for class events parts have to be "genuine".
RRS 78 says you must be class legal for *all* racing. There is nothing in any rule anywhere that makes a distinction about class racing, no matter what people, especially pattern part makers, like to think and tell you. People have all sorts of strange theories, but no evidence to support them.

The precise implications of RRS 78, were it to be enforced to the letter, make my brain hurt though. To my eyes it would seem to say, for example, you can't reregister your Europe as an International Moth and put an International Moth logo on the sail, and its hard to believe that's what is intended. However if no-one protests the main issue is the introduction to the rules (Competitors... are expected to follow and enforce [the rules]. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty...) and your conscience.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Somehow doesn't seem likely that Slim's youngest is going to be too worried about whether it is in class or not....

and to be honest as long as it wasn't a Topper nats event, can't see that I would be too bothered either.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
slim

Post by slim »

He's just started sailing in local club races and to be honest the rules are pretty relaxed,which I think is just fine. At this level surely it is more about getting the kids out on the water and having some fun rather than worrying about having the correct sticker on a piece of kit.I can see the need at higher levels to have some control over what can and cannot be used though. Anyhow it looks as if we have a mast sorted,just got to find a half decent sail for next to nothing! lol. After that it's a rumage through the boxes of kit to make a half decent kicker etc.
chris

Post by chris »

Spot on!