Wanted Magnum 8 or later

Post by alan watson »

Wanted Magnum 8 or later any condition. Alan
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Wanted Magnum 8 or later

Post by Ed »

Hi Alan,

you won't find a better lowrider than the one that Dan has for sale in the post below: 'magnum 9.9 for sale'

not strictly CVRDA legal, but couldn't be a better boat for racing with other lowriders.

You don't know Dan, but might remember that I was talking of him with you at Roadford in the Summer.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi Ed

Your recommendation was very good and I bought the boat some weeks ago and sailed it at Carrick Roads for a couple of days.

The trouble is that I haven't stopped there and I now have Magnums 5; 8; 9.9. What Lyndon myself and Ian would like to do next year is try and organise a Moth event.

Several suggestions were made

A stand alone Moth only
Ditto with any single sailed CVRDA single hander
As above but not stand alone rather combined with an establishe CVRDA event.

What fits in best do you think ? AND ( There appear to be several strata of Moth design as follows: British Moth era; Skiff era Skol:; broad beam era eg Magnums; narrow beam Axemen and flying era..Where do you think the cut off should be ?

How would you recommend the class divide itself and what eras coincide with the CVRDA ethos but don't necessarily meet the date criteria. For example British Moth era is clearly vintage but so also surely are the Skols Duvoisins etc while classic probably should include all the Magnum range but what about the modern narrow beam carbon Axemen; Hungry Tigers. These are clearly out of time limit but in terms of development are practically classic in their way.

The point of course is not to tie the CVRDA down or alter any criteria but how if at all to manage low riding events that might be held under the CVRDA umbrella.

In other words all non flying moths welcome or only those before 1995? Axemen 5 I think.

Cheers Alan
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd say either run a Moth event as a stand alone, or ask one of the current events to run it alongside the cvrda races. Seeing as you'd be going outside of cvrda guidelines anyway, I'd just leave it open to all lowriders - the more variety the better. I think you'd need a pretty big stretch of water to make it fun.
Rupert
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Roadford would be ideal but a more central location might be better. I know suggestions were made but a ghastly senior moment has driven them from my mind.

The other point is if it is attached to a CVRDA event it might discourage those with two classes of CVRDA dinghy to enter the Moth event.

The main thing is to fix a date that's good for the CVRDA and all moth sailor's who want to participate. It would also be very interesting to see the design lines together in one place.

I agree the more the merrier and making it open to all low riders is simple. Any other views though ?

Alan
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I am with Rupert on this one.

And besides, Rupe is the commodore now, so if you are asking for any official opinion on the part of the CVRDA then you need talk with him.

For my part, I hope the CVRDA always tries to encourage all events for classic boats and especially classic moths, whether they fall inside or outside the CVRDA's definitions.

So try and work with a CVRDA event, but keep it separate.

As for what boats should be allowed.....that is up to you guys, wouldn't be appropriate for me to say - I simply don't know the boats well enough. But I agree with Rupert, the Moth class has now so totally and utterly dropped any support for the lowrider (as I would argue they should), it would seem silly to not allow any lowrider and try and give prizes for older boats....or if you dare, try and work out a handicap to even out the age-groups.

Why not try and do it at Roadford? If they could put on an event??

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

cvrda, official opinion? I thought we had as many official opinions are there are members!

What it comes down to is finding a date and a location that as many Mothists as possible can make it to. The advantage of going alongside a cvrda event is that the race team, tea bar etc are already in place, if they are happy to expand things. The disadvantage is having to fit in with the plans of others. Blithfield might be interested?
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Alan
Roadford would b open to running the Moth Event alongside the CVRDA and Finn Classics date 7th 8th June.
Cheers Al
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Sorry Rupert I didn't realise that you were Commodore.

Just to recap.

A Moth only event for all Lowriders
To run alongside an existing CVRDA event BUT
Not an official CVRDA event as not all the dinghies will qualify
To fit in with existing arrangement.

So if this is correct can I post an invitation to show interest commitment and other suggestions for venues?

Roadford would be very good. It's one of the best Moth venues has grass for rigging, great water and wind for sailing and great camp site for overnighting and already support for June 7 8.

Cheers
Alan
Magnums 5 8 9.9
Lightning 368
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Hunts has several resident lowriders - two axemen, a magnum 5, my skol and my green moth, so they will always be welcome here! The axement were invited to the rally back in August but neither could make it. I will be hoping to get to Roadford next year as we really enjoyed it last time we went. Hope to get to Blithfield too.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi Nessa

Sorry I am new to the CVRDA and so can you give me the name of the club in Hunts.

So far it seems 2 votes to Roadford on June 7th 8th. This is a definite offer

2 votes for Bilthfield ( I also think Lyndon and Ian suggested this club). Any other suggestions out there ? Or definite preferences ?

I know there is concern that the location be as central as possible.

It would be great to have an annual moth event which could rotate around all the interested clubs. Probably we need a low riding section of the main international moth class which , has as has been said before, rightly focusses on flying.

The thing is I had a brilliant time sailing with Lyndon and I would be very happy to do several moth focussed events. I am happy to try and co-ordinate this if the other mothists would be happy with this ?

Cheers ALAN
PS Does anyone have a good photo of a classic moth sailing to make into a poster/ leaflet. Can this be emailed direct to me @ alanwatson@inobox.com ?
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

This sounds very interesting all round. Roadford may well fit in with our holiday plans to go to Cornwall next year too, so this could work for me :) Hopefully I'll get to at least one other event prior to this too......possibly Hunts.
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Hunts SC is in Cambridgeshire, just on the outskirts of St Ives.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Thanks Nessa

Am I right does that make ?

ROADFORD 3

BLITHFIELD 2

HUNTS SC 2

MORE THAN ONE MOTH FOCUSSED EVENT 2

Cheers
ALAN
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I quite fancy the idea of returning to my youth and building another Moth, so as I read this, provided I build an old design I could come out to play. I'm guessing that the original boats are all heavily restored or totally rebuilt so it will still be in keeping if the design date is in keeping and build date is not going to be restrictively used.
I know I'm too big but it could be a cheap fun boat.
Now where did I put those plans for a Lucky sixpence?
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold