harrier/harrier+ dinghy

Post your requirements here
JimC

Re: harrier/harrier+ dinghy

Post by JimC »

My recollection is that they were much the same PY as a Laser - a proper Laser that is, not a radial. 1080-1100 is probably about right. Of course that's assuming the sail is just as good as all the other sails in the club, which might be a big assumption...
solo64

Post by solo64 »

jonathanmark wrote:After a bit if effort, I am now in touch with the seller of the Harrier at scaling dam SC, and hope to look at it in the next couple of weeks.
Its a standard Harrier (not a +). I am wondering if there are any others current racing, and if so, what PY numbers are being used. The seller says he raced it off the same as a laser radial, What does anyone think?
I'm back from Kos now but I see you're pretty much sorted with contact details for the Scaling Harrier. Let me know if you intend to buy the Harrier as we could meet up & you could have the Harrier mast & boom that I have, if you wanted spares.
jonathanmark

Post by jonathanmark »

I have agreed to purchase Harrier+ (#2), one of the old Whitby boats.
I asked the question previously, but didn`t really get a definative answer, but is any one racing a Harrier+, if so what PY are you using ?
JimC

Post by JimC »

jonathanmark wrote:I have agreed to purchase Harrier+ (#2), one of the old Whitby boats.
I asked the question previously, but didn`t really get a definative answer, but is any one racing a Harrier+, if so what PY are you using ?
The Harrier proper PY was 1116 in current money. I don't think the Harrier + ever got as far as a real number, but I doubt it was more than 20 or 30 points faster.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If you are racing against Lasers, you should soon get an idea of whether you are faster or slower.
Rupert
angus

Post by angus »

When I had a Harrier + I sailed off 1078 I thing (the old laser handicap). It seemed very generous in light winds but being quite light I quickly became overpowered when the wind got up and struggled to keep up with the lasers. I might have done better if I had raked the rig back further. There were also problems with the set up which caused problems in stronger winds. I think the Harrier+ is potentially quite a bit faster than a laser except perhaps in marginal planing conditions but I would start at 1078 and see how you get on.
I don't know anything about the Harrier except that it would be considerably slower than the Harrier+
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
jonathanmark

Post by jonathanmark »

just taken delivery of Harrier+ No.2, `who needs mates`
Pretty good nick for a 40 yr old boat !
Thanks for the advice on PY, i will try and get my club to go with the laser number.